Old 03-24-2009, 11:23 PM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 6.6
Courses Played: 42
Throwing Style: RHBH
Quote:
Originally Posted by Olorin View Post
Here’s an odd bird… Reviewer Guy

While you’re warming up you see this guy stapling laminated DGCR posters to trees. He’s achingly slow, because he’s constantly measuring things, noting wildlife, making incessant notes on his special review score card… foursomes often pass him when he’s playing single. He’s constantly measuring things like forced layups or foliage density. He’s even been known to carry a clipboard to the course! Lots of times you don’t know where he wandered to, or why, but you’ll find him doing weird things like stretching his arms out to measure the pinch point between 2 trees on the fairway. Sometimes you have to wait around for him to pace out the entire hole length. On uphill slopes he whips out a hand level sighting gizmo that measures elevation changes, he takes a sighting, moves forward to a spot about 6 ft. higher, and repeats this until he gets to the top. You should see him reverse the process on downhill holes! If you lose your disc in the shule this guy usually can’t help you because he was too busy examining something else. He can be one of the least social guys you’ll meet on the course. He doesn’t talk a whole lot, but is constantly looking around, making notes, and seems to have lots on his mind. His most common remarks are a lackluster “uh huh” and “yup”. Ask him his opinion about something and he’s liable to reply “Uh huh” with a faraway look down the fairway. Most topics about anything other than the course are liable to just fall flat. When he does talk, though, Reviewer guy been known to go off on long discourses filled with arcane acronyms like the ATG (Around The Green) shots, CF (Challenge Factors), SPD (Scratch Player Difficulty), and especially Gold CR (Close Range) Par. Don’t you dare get him started talking about par! More than likely he’ll tell you how the course would be improved by using his par system. More than 2 hours later, as you finally finish, and you’ve used up way more time than you ever thought a round could take, before you leave he hands you a DGCR business card with his name on it… Olorin
oh my I might be related......
Old 03-25-2009, 11:07 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 6.6
Courses Played: 81
"blowup guy" - He begins by talking about how long he's been playing, how many tournaments he's played in, his highest rated round, etc.. A Few holes later he hits the first tree that's 15' in front of the tee pad...and it begins. The better you play the worst he plays. The worst he plays the madder he gets at himself. The madder he gets at himself the worst he plays. The more he misses the more extra throws he takes all the while giving you the look of "I don't know what's wrong with me. I'm normally as good as I just talked myself up to be". It's just a matter of time before he agressively runs a 20' headwind putt that lifts and carries 30' past the basket. At this point look out. He will either a)pick up his mini and throw it as far as he can into the nearest water hazard, b) kick his entire bag as hard as he can and let the discs fly where they may, c)grab his fastest most overstable disc and sidearm it at the chains as hard as he can, or d)all of the above.
Old 03-25-2009, 11:27 AM
Bogey Member

[QUOTE reviewer guy......[/QUOTE]

I didn't know Eric played in Kansas...j/k bro
Old 04-08-2009, 08:07 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 6.1
Courses Played: 98
Throwing Style: RHBH
So I was reading my DiscGolger Magazine that came in the mail yesterday. You remember that lady from Sweden I mentioned, the one who was the main reason why I ended up starting this thread? Yeah, she was in the magazine, nominated for Female Player of the Year. Whoa.
Old 04-08-2009, 10:39 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 12.5
Courses Played: 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by sidewinding View Post
"blowup guy" - He begins by talking about how long he's been playing, how many tournaments he's played in, his highest rated round, etc.. A Few holes later he hits the first tree that's 15' in front of the tee pad...and it begins. The better you play the worst he plays. The worst he plays the madder he gets at himself. The madder he gets at himself the worst he plays. The more he misses the more extra throws he takes all the while giving you the look of "I don't know what's wrong with me. I'm normally as good as I just talked myself up to be". It's just a matter of time before he agressively runs a 20' headwind putt that lifts and carries 30' past the basket. At this point look out. He will either a)pick up his mini and throw it as far as he can into the nearest water hazard, b) kick his entire bag as hard as he can and let the discs fly where they may, c)grab his fastest most overstable disc and sidearm it at the chains as hard as he can, or d)all of the above.
I played with this guy last week!
Old 04-09-2009, 04:06 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 41.2
Courses Played: 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marty McFly View Post
I played with this guy last week!
I played with him in AR last year. Till his wife cought him and made him come with her. I think we were both relieved about that.

Old 04-09-2009, 04:49 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 7.3
Courses Played: 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by sidewinding View Post
"blowup guy" - He begins by talking about how long he's been playing, how many tournaments he's played in, his highest rated round, etc.. A Few holes later he hits the first tree that's 15' in front of the tee pad...and it begins. The better you play the worst he plays. The worst he plays the madder he gets at himself. The madder he gets at himself the worst he plays. The more he misses the more extra throws he takes all the while giving you the look of "I don't know what's wrong with me. I'm normally as good as I just talked myself up to be". It's just a matter of time before he aggressively runs a 20' headwind putt that lifts and carries 30' past the basket. At this point look out. He will either a)pick up his mini and throw it as far as he can into the nearest water hazard, b) kick his entire bag as hard as he can and let the discs fly where they may, c)grab his fastest most overstable disc and sidearm it at the chains as hard as he can, or d)all of the above.

There is an old expression that says:
"Its better to be quiet and make people wonder if your foolish, than open your mouth and confirm their suspicions."

Or as it says in the Bible : "Pride goeth before the fall"