Old 04-08-2009, 10:44 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 7.1
Courses Played: 99
Throwing Style: RHBH
Bad advice stories

My older brother is now almost as fanatical about DG as I am and therefore I've been trying to bring him up to my modest level of ability as quickly as possible so that he'd be more competitive. He's got pretty awful form (he goes into a sumo stance before he starts his x-step) but I'm slowly but surely improving him. He was just finally getting out of throwing big nose up hyzers that stall out ~250' and throwing nice s curves with his beast. We were playing a round the other day when this guy I had played with before caught up with us. He's a cool guy and all (got me on to Trailer Park Boys) but he tried to give my bro some advice on following through more on hole 5. So, on hole 10, trying to heed that advice, my bro grip locked the sh*t out of his disc and the wind carried it over the barbed wire fence on the fairway's right to no return. Fortunately the disc can be easily replaced and was definitely too fast for him anyway (destroyer). I felt like a kung fu master whose pupil was stolen. It made me wonder how many discs have been lost due to such thoughtful advice.
Old 04-08-2009, 10:49 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 6
Courses Played: 75
Throwing Style: LHBH
my friend dumped two bosses on back to back throws into the middle of a large lake because the course designer convinced him his throw needed tweaking.
Old 04-08-2009, 10:52 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 8.4
Courses Played: 16
Send a message via Yahoo to Geoffro
For the most part, I think unsolicited advice is useless. It carries with it too much emotional baggage (sorry, I'm a therapist) - as in, if I do what (whoever) is telling me, and it works, it means (whoever) is right and I am wrong. If I don't do what (whoever) is telling me, and it doesn't work, I'm an idiot. If I do what (whoever) is telling me, and it doesn't work, (whoever) will say that I didn't do it right. It's a no-win situation for the advised golfer.

Alternatively, I think solicited advice is great. We see it all the time here on DGCR. If I ask for the advice, I retain control. I get to choose what advice to take and what to omit. I can alter and modify the advice and make it my own. I incorporate someone else's experience at my own discretion into my game. Everybody wins.
Old 04-08-2009, 10:53 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 12.4
Courses Played: 59
Me - "Hey you can clear the creek just rip the Boss!"

Steps back and throws...

Random guy - "Did I clear it?"

Me - "Nope... wet, very wet."
Old 04-08-2009, 11:03 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 6
Courses Played: 75
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geoffro View Post
For the most part, I think unsolicited advice is useless. It carries with it too much emotional baggage (sorry, I'm a therapist) - as in, if I do what (whoever) is telling me, and it works, it means (whoever) is right and I am wrong. If I don't do what (whoever) is telling me, and it doesn't work, I'm an idiot. If I do what (whoever) is telling me, and it doesn't work, (whoever) will say that I didn't do it right. It's a no-win situation for the advised golfer.

Alternatively, I think solicited advice is great. We see it all the time here on DGCR. If I ask for the advice, I retain control. I get to choose what advice to take and what to omit. I can alter and modify the advice and make it my own. I incorporate someone else's experience at my own discretion into my game. Everybody wins.
listen here you greek philospopher you......
Old 04-10-2009, 09:19 AM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 6.3
Courses Played: 19
Good DGer but Bad Teacher

I am constantly amazed that people can be so good at something i.e. disc golf and not be able to explain to newbies (me) how to improve. The guy who actually got me into playing is a great guy and an awesome disc golfer but not a very good instructor. I don't know if it was just that he didn't want to embarrass me by giving me too much advice or that he just didn't know what to say. I would ask for advice and he would tell me to "just rip it." As you might imagine that didn't really improve my game. So when solicited I try to give more helpful suggestions to my friends who have just started playing.

Old 04-10-2009, 10:17 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 17.7
Courses Played: 147
It is a fine line giving advise. I've taught several people to play and think I have a handle on it. I try not to give unsolicited advise. I've seen people get upset when someone suggests they are "doing it wrong". On the flip side I know one guy who will immediately try to implement what is suggested. A good rule of thumb is to stick with commonly accepted ideas. Power grip, X step, things that have been accepted as "correct". (not to say that the power grip is the end all way to grip)