Old 04-06-2009, 06:12 PM

Years Playing: 5.9
Courses Played: 2
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by scarpfish View Post
I think a major selling point that a pay for play course would need to have is a core of local golfers who are sick and tired of some of the riff-raff problems that plague free courses in their area. Such a facility would need the following...

1. Dedicated space. If non-DG'ers are walking about like they often do in multi-use parks, its not worth paying for.
2. A minimum of 18 holes. Multiple 18 hole courses would be even better. Nobody is going to pay to play a 9 holer no matter how nice it is.
3. A pro/advanced caliber layout (as in 8000'+ feet). This type of golfer is more likely to pay for a round than some rec players who are happy with their 4800' pitch and putt park course.
4. Permanent brick and mortar facilities onsite like a pro shop and restrooms.
5. Good durable signage and benches that are free of graffiti.
6. Regularly performed course maintenance such as mowing, tree trimming, etc.
Hey guys...some quick info to share.

1. The land is private land and wont be used by anyone other than members and daily fee players....and squirrels.
2. 18 to start...3 tee pads, 2 hole placements. Another 18 to be added later, but 3 tee pads and 2 placements equals 6 different ways to play the hole, not boring.
3. Apparently, once the back tees are added it's gonna be plus or minus 9000 feet. This was never intended to be pitch and putt.
4. Check
5.Check
6. Bi weekly mowing, tree trimming as needed.
Old 04-06-2009, 06:22 PM
Par Member

Years Playing: 19.3
Courses Played: 182
Throwing Style: RHBH
Thumbs up

You Build It And They Will Come.
Old 04-06-2009, 06:43 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 6
Courses Played: 95
Throwing Style: RHBH
Sounds like they are going to do a good job with this place. I hope it works out. I may not be around to play it but I hope it works out none the less.
Old 04-07-2009, 01:22 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 7.2
Courses Played: 25
Throwing Style: LHFH
Definitely food for thought. I used to play ball golf a couple times a week until I discovered disc golf. Now my sticks are getting rusty. For me one of disc golf's selling points is "FREE!" Within 100 miles of my home there are over a dozen courses and all are free. From 9 hole city parks with no clear route to championship courses. I never belonged to a ball golf Country Club, but I've played at a several semi-private places.

I'm not opposed to the idea however. Membership in any organization has it's perks or at least it should. With the right organization, design, management, maintenance, and perks I wouldn't mind laying down a couple of bills every year for membership.

Old 04-10-2009, 07:25 PM

Years Playing: 5.9
Courses Played: 2
Hello everyone, just got done with a brutal 18 at Harry Meyers in 20 mph winds from the back tees. Anyways, I talked to tstockt and I wanted to share some recently learned info on the project. In response to some of the posts here stating - "if I am gonna pay it had better be really nice", after construction is complete, plans are to include planting 80-100 flowering trees around the outskirts of the course to beautify the landscape. Sounded cool to me, I don't think I can look at another cedar (those who play in Rockwall will understand). That's all I could get out of him today, I'll try to get some more nuggets this weekend. Happy chunkin'.