Years Playing: 10.3
Courses Played: 122
Throwing Style: RHBH
Send a message via AIM to bazkitcase5 Send a message via MSN to bazkitcase5
its actually a B tier this year and its the same weekend as the NT in oklahoma

but I'll be going to bowling green!
Old 04-11-2009, 02:08 AM
Birdie Member

When I was following Niko and his girlfriend, Carmen, around in Houston at the Texas State DG Championships, I found out they were coming into San Antonio to play in a little C tier event before moving on to Kansas City. I gave them my phone number and told them to call. I didn't except a call cuz I'm sure they get a lot of invites from their fans where ever they go.

Surprisingly, they called and who did they have with them? Valerie Jenkins!!

My family has a ranch with a cabin which was built in 1935 about 5 minutes away from the tourney site so I offered to put them up there if they wanted and they accepted.

I got to play the last two days with them and it's been a blast. The thrill of the day was one shot I threw on a 330' hole. I threw a sidearm "S" shot and parked it about 15' from the basket. Both Niko and Valerie high fived me. Two world class players complimenting me on a shot. How absurd is that!

After we got done playing, I introduced them to Texas BBQ. We got a pound of brisket, half a pound of turkey, sausage, a full rack of baby back ribs, a quart of potato salad and a quart of cream corn. I thought it might have been too much but, boy, was I wrong. When this bunch puts on the feed bag, all I can say is, stand back. I think Niko's got a hollow leg. LOL

When we got back to the ranch, I took Niko out fishing. I figured this was one sport I got a chance to beat him. Wrong again! He caught a bunch with two of them weighing over 3 lbs. The boy can fish!

Niko, Carmen and Valerie are three of the nicest, down to earth people I've met. Anytime they are down this way, they are always welcome at my house. Maybe next time, Avery will show up.

Woodpecker
Old 04-11-2009, 10:50 AM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 8.4
Courses Played: 42
well done woodpecker. i bet that was an awesome experience.
Old 04-11-2009, 10:56 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 6.6
Courses Played: 81
Nikko and Val Jenkins did a two hour clinic at Disc Nation on Wednesday afternoon. It was awesome. I got there early and watched Nikko throw about 100 drives. The basket was in a wide open field about 350' away and he threw every type of shot there is and consistently put them all within about 20'.

What I noticed is that when he or Valerie threw you could hear a really loud snap. Their throws look very similar to mine but the difference is that once theirs get on their line they just keep going what seems like forever. Snap = Spin. Spin = Distance.

He only did one 360 turnaround distance throw because he did not want to lose any discs because the grass was not mowed past the 500' range.

My wife won the womens CTP and got one of the five Nikko signed Gateway prototype E Savages that he had with him. I won jack squat.
Old 04-13-2009, 12:51 AM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 6.2
Courses Played: 6
Those are pretty awesome stories. It is so nice when you hear that the people most of the public looks up to are just like us personality wise it makes you want to do more. It stinks for me when i hear that stars are jerks in real life. takes all the coolness out of their movies and music..

Old 04-14-2009, 06:36 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 13.9
Courses Played: 55
Throwing Style: RHBH
Yeah I saw Stevie Rico at the Wintertime Open a few years back - he was driving one of the temporary holes that they set up in the wash. Air temp in the 50s, light drizzle falling, and he drives about 450 feet around a grove of trees and sets his disc down about ten feet from the pin.

Da-a-a-a-a-a-ang.