Old 04-15-2009, 02:31 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 6.2
Courses Played: 101
Throwing Style: RHBH
Overgrown Grass, Sidewalks and Vertical Line Rule

So I played in a tournament this last weekend and had to take a penelty on what I thought was a slightly controversial call. In the long run I believe it was the right call but the explinations that I was given were highly frustrating and wanted to get some thoughts on the situation.

My tee shot on hole seven at Johnny Roberts DGC in Arvada, CO came to rest on the sidewalk on the far side of the creek. As I was walking to my disc the spotter put out a flag marking where I was last in bounds. My disc had landed and skipped a bit hitting the edge of the grass that was on the side walk and came to rest right along the edge fo the grass. There appeared to be a few blades of live grass in the ground that were underneath my disc. My understanding is that this grass is in bounds and therefore my disc could have been called in bounds. The problem being that the people the edge the side walks do a bad job and most of the grass that my disc may have had under it was obviously growing out over the sidewalk. The spotter told me that the sidewalk was out of bounds and that the vertical line rule applied and that since my disc was completely over the sidewalk it was out of bounds. If there was indeed live planted grass under my disc, it is out of bounds in this scenario?
Old 04-15-2009, 02:38 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 9.5
Courses Played: 156
Absolutely OB.
Old 04-15-2009, 04:47 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 7
Courses Played: 188
http://www.pdga.com/rules/80309-out-of-bounds

The OB line is a vertical plane extending upward at the border of the sidewalk and the grass. Just because a couple blades of grass extend over/across the boundary doesn't save your disc from being completely OB.
Old 04-15-2009, 05:16 AM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 18.7
Courses Played: 114
Nice try but its OB.

It can't count as good if it landed on a patch of grass in the middle of sidewalk that happen to be grown through the crack...
Old 04-15-2009, 11:02 AM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 6.6
Courses Played: 18
OB, and so is a throw that lands on dirt that has washed over the sidewalk.
Old 04-15-2009, 12:28 PM
Par Member

Years Playing: 8.7
Courses Played: 23
Wow right on the edge, don't think I've ever seen a call that close to OB. Unfortunately I'm pretty sure its OB
Old 04-15-2009, 01:03 PM
Par Member

Years Playing: 14.7
Courses Played: 35
that is a tough ob to live with. what pin placement was it? that is one of my worst holes at that course. TalbotTrojan next time you are playing Johnny roberts pm me. I would love to throw with some more dgcr people
Old 04-15-2009, 02:01 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 17.5
Courses Played: 221
I think others are right in calling the disc OB, but where did you take the drop? I could see a case being made that the disc should take the drop in from where it had come to rest. If the disc had managed to land on top of some grass that was growing in from the edge, I would think it would be impossible to say whether or not some part of the disc had crossed into the in-bounds vertical plane right next to where it came to rest. It would seem like the benefit of the doubt would go to you and you'd take the OB right next to the disc, since it was so close...

This is the same idea as a disc thrown over water -- if it hits a treetrunk growing on the opposite bank, and falls into the water, then you take the drop by the treetrunk, since it crossed into bounds on the other side -- even if briefly. If your disc hit the grass on the edge of the sidewalk and nudged over the OB line, then ricocheted a few MMs fully back into the OB, then you'd get your drop there instead of where it initially crossed into OB off the drive.
Old 04-15-2009, 02:05 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 9.5
Courses Played: 156
Quote:
Originally Posted by t i m View Post
I think others are right in calling the disc OB, but where did you take the drop?
He had a spotter. The exact position of the last spot in bounds was therefore not a question at all.

Old 04-15-2009, 06:49 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 6.2
Courses Played: 101
Lets see, the pin was out there close to the waters edge. Pretty intimidating. As far as the spot is concerned the spotter basically put the flag two inches from my disc as it had obviously skipped onto the cement and then bounced off the hard edge of grass. Like I said in my initial post I think the right call was made but it was just not being explained well to me as to why if there is grass under it, which one would naturally assume to be in bounds and if any part of the disc is in bounds then the disc is in fact in bounds. There was no marked line mind you and the question then remains where the line is if the grass which is in bounds is over growing the cement of the path.