Old 04-17-2009, 09:59 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 8
Courses Played: 50
Throwing Style: RHBH
Quote:
Originally Posted by 80playedin10states View Post
doesn't matter how you got into "ob", you are ob
Agreed, that is how I have always played.

Now, the big debate my local group has is how to handle the OB. Obviously, there is a penalty shot involved, but if you go OB from the tee, to you re-tee throwing 3, or do you throw from point of entry into the OB, assuming there is no designated drop zone?

I'm thinking the drop zones would really be more for missing a mando vs OB. I've only played 25 courses, what do you see at your local courses, and how do you handle this?
Old 04-17-2009, 10:31 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 30.3
Courses Played: 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by tamahawk View Post
Now, the big debate my local group has is how to handle the OB. Obviously, there is a penalty shot involved, but if you go OB from the tee, to you re-tee throwing 3, or do you throw from point of entry into the OB, assuming there is no designated drop zone?

I'm thinking the drop zones would really be more for missing a mando vs OB. I've only played 25 courses, what do you see at your local courses, and how do you handle this?
Whether to shoot again from the tee or from where the disc went out of bounds is a choice the player makes for themself. It's a free choice, either way is allowed. And either way you count the first throw and the penalty stroke, so you're throwing your third shot. I find throwing from where the disc went out of bounds is usually best, but I do know a couple places where re-teeing is the better option.

The only times I've seen drop zones for OB are for lake holes. There are a couple of them locally and I've seen lake drop zones in other places too.

Old 04-18-2009, 01:28 AM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 8.5
Courses Played: 16
Throwing Style: LHBH
Send a message via Yahoo to Geoffro
Quote:
Originally Posted by bazillion View Post
What if you throw your disc, griplock it and have it fly out into the street and land in the back of some guy's pickup truck, then have the guy drive around the block and come back, find you, and throw your disc back to you, landing it in bounds.

OB?
Quote:
803.09 Out-of-Bounds
A. A disc shall be considered out-of-bounds only when it comes to rest and it is clearly and completely surrounded by the out-of-bounds area...In order to consider the disc as out-of bounds, there must be reasonable evidence that the disc came to rest within the out-of-bounds area...
I think the applicable phrase here is "comes to rest." At the point in which the disc landed in the pickup truck, this disc has "come to rest," even though the truck may still be moving. Certainly when the truck stops at a stoplight to make a left-hand turn, both the truck and the disc have "come to rest." Either way, the disc is OB, and the throw back from the truck's driver would be irrelevant, except for being a very nice gesture, especially from someone driving a pick-up truck.

So you take a one-stroke penalty, then the next question is where to throw from:

Quote:
803.09 Out-of-bounds
B. A player whose disc is considered out-of-bounds shall receive one penalty throw. The player may elect to play the next shot from:
(1) The previous lie as evidenced by the marker disc or, if the marker disc has been moved from an approximate lie, as agreed to by the majority of the group or an official; or (2) A lie that is up to one meter away from and perpendicular to the point where the disc last crossed into out-of-bounds, as determined by a majority of the group or an official. This holds true even if the direction takes the lie closer to the hole; or (3) Within the designated Drop Zone, if provided. These options may be limited by the tournament director as a special condition (see 804.01).
Following the griplock, where the disc crossed out-of-bounds on its way to the truck, is where to throw from. Or from the tee (or the previous lie).