Old 04-26-2009, 10:30 AM

Years Playing: 5.8
Courses Played: 9
First Post :)

I have been playing now since Oct. 08. Of course I have to play at least 2 times a week because this game is like "Crack"

My drives are still getting further, my putting is extremely hot right now and I am up to 3 aces.

I had bought a lightning disc when I first started playing, and if you throw it with the outside edge downward, it would anhyzer all by itself, yet it was a #3 Driver and not made to do that ( I think) .

My question is:

Do any of the Star or Champion plastic discs by Innova throw any better with the outside edge pointed downward ?? I always have the edge flat or upward to get maximum distance.
Old 04-26-2009, 10:49 AM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 10.3
Courses Played: 152
Throwing Style: LHFH
Send a message via MSN to srm_520 Send a message via Yahoo to srm_520
Just playing since October and you already have 3 aces? I hate you - welcome to the sport!

Just Kidding - congrats and I am jealous. The answer is yes and no, and your going to see a variety of opinions on the subject. One person might tell you a stingray would be your downward angle throw based on its understable flight, while others would say just keep it flat and let any disc do the work its designed for. A lot will depend on your technique coupled with the strength of your drive - so my suggestion is to hook up with various people to test out some discs in an open field and experiment a while.

You can also go to the innova or disccraft sites to read about what the disc is "supposed" to do, but again, sometimes I find there is a huge varation based what I already mentioned. Good luck with the addiction!
Old 04-26-2009, 11:07 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 13.1
Courses Played: 126
I think there are variations on what Innova, Discrap,etc. say about their plastic. It depends on your technique and strength like stated above. If you have a play it again sports near by or anywhere you can get some used plastic,even some of your locals(because we all have stuff in the used bin that we dont use anymore). Try to get some used stuff so you dont spend to much money and find what you like. Then you can go spend money, once you have an idea of what you like to throw. Hope this helps.
Old 04-26-2009, 12:09 PM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 28.4
Courses Played: 30
Send a message via ICQ to pokamitch Send a message via Yahoo to pokamitch
Quote:
Originally Posted by srm_520 View Post
Just playing since October and you already have 3 aces? I hate you - welcome to the sport!

Just Kidding - congrats and I am jealous. The answer is yes and no, and your going to see a variety of opinions on the subject. One person might tell you a stingray would be your downward angle throw based on its understable flight, while others would say just keep it flat and let any disc do the work its designed for. A lot will depend on your technique coupled with the strength of your drive - so my suggestion is to hook up with various people to test out some discs in an open field and experiment a while.

You can also go to the innova or disccraft sites to read about what the disc is "supposed" to do, but again, sometimes I find there is a huge varation based what I already mentioned. Good luck with the addiction!
Exactly what he said. Go out to a feild and try your friends discs. The way you throw (technique, torque, angle, etc) varys from all of us, so just try other discs before you buy them. My friends and I have been doing this for many, many years and it seems to be the cheapest way to figure whether you like specific discs or not (without buying them)....

Also, Roc's idea is great. "Play it Again" is great to find cheap plastic and you can figure out the flight by purchasing them cheap

Old 04-26-2009, 04:45 PM

Years Playing: 5.8
Courses Played: 9
Oh....Its to late for all that I have already spent hundreds of dollars and own or have thrown just about everything.

I guess I should have told you that I go balls to the wall on whatever I do, and even though I started in August, I play like I have been for years.

Everytime I buy a new disc, a field is the first place that I go, or I play a whole round of 18 with the same disc to get the feel of it.

Strangely enough, I have never thrown any of the disc with the outer nose downward other than when I first started to throw. Of course they all hooked hard into the woods everytime.

Then, I took this shot of a friend throwing a disc downward and it actually turns over for him and lands next to the tee from 300ft:

http://vids.myspace.com/index.cfm?fu...deoid=56305210

I am still waiting on a response from him on what disc he shot.