Old 10-20-2010, 12:15 PM

Courses Played: 36
Heading up I-35 to Des Moines

Im leaving Kansas City next weekend for a disc golf trip to Des Moines to try out some of their courses for the first time. I have my must play list in order
1- Pickard
2- Ewing
3- Walnut Ridge------ also where I will camp (unless someone knows a better location)
4- A toss up between grandview and big creek, as I may not have time to play both.

My question- Which course should play- Grandview or Big Creek if I only have time for one?

2nd question- I will likely stop on way home and play one of the 2 courses in Lamoni.... which of the 2 should I play?
Sponsored Links
Old 10-20-2010, 12:29 PM
Resident Grouch

Years Playing: 11.5
Courses Played: 317
Walnut Ridge is awesome, but access to that area is seasonal, so may be closed for the year.

Yep. --> http://iowadg.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=7158

That may put the kibitz on your camping plans as well. I was up in DSM a week ago and didn't even run out that way.

That might clear up your Grandview/Big Creek decision, but if you still have to pick one...

If you want hard and challenging, go with Big Creek. If you want something hilly, but not all that difficult, go with Grandview. I'd advise hitting it early because its very popular with the rec players.

Definitely hit Pickard and Ewing. You could almost toss a coin between the Lamoni courses. Graceland will probably be better maintained, but if you like that rustic course feel J&B may suit you better. There is a $5 honor box at the start to play J&B.
Old 10-20-2010, 01:04 PM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 6
Throwing Style: RHBH
Walnut is closed for hunting season. I stopped at the park last Saturday and the gate was closed. Pickard and Ewing are a cant miss both are great courses.

Last edited by mattw; 10-20-2010 at 01:08 PM.
Old 10-20-2010, 01:32 PM
Bogey Member

Years Playing: 14.7
Courses Played: 132
Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzz killington View Post
Im leaving Kansas City next weekend for a disc golf trip to Des Moines to try out some of their courses for the first time. I have my must play list in order
1- Pickard
2- Ewing
3- Walnut Ridge------ also where I will camp (unless someone knows a better location)
4- A toss up between grandview and big creek, as I may not have time to play both.

My question- Which course should play- Grandview or Big Creek if I only have time for one?

2nd question- I will likely stop on way home and play one of the 2 courses in Lamoni.... which of the 2 should I play?
Def hit Pickard and Ewing first on your way into town. They are the standard must plays (IMO Pickard and Walnut are the must play courses)

As far as what other 2 to play I would go with Big Creek and Walnut Ridge.

It is true that the "Gate" at Walnut Ridge is closed for the season, but there is an easy way to still play it ....... I'll get to this in a minute.

Its also true that All Army Corps of Engineer parks (includes campgrounds) are closed for the season.

Here are some alternate camping option in the Des Moines area that might still be open ......

Walnut Woods State Park (Camping available, restrooms are closed for the season)

Yellow Banks County Park (Walk-in Tent Camping allowed year Round)

Adventurland Campground (Open through 10/31/10)

Iowa State Fair Campground (not sure if still open)

Griff's Valley View RV Park

On to the Golf ......

While the South Side Combo of Pickard and Ewing is a must, I'm one that also believes the North Side Combo of Walnut and Big Creek is a must. While Grandview is a very fun and enjoyable course it just isn't as easily played in conjunction with another course (and is the 5th best course in the area IMO ...... its not played in the A-Tier, the other 4 are).

As far as playing Walnut Ridge it is quite easy. You simply park in the neighborhood to the north of the entrance road and walk about 600ft to hole #8 or #16 tee and start from there. One of the perks off playing Walnut in the off season is the lack of other players ...... you usually have the course all to yourself. It should be noted that its not frowned upon to play in the off-season ..... I played there last week and shot the crap for a few minutes with the park ranger who was driving around doing some final winterizing ...... he said it was all good.

The easiest place to park is on Eagle Crest Dr in front of the vacant lots. Lots of guys park on Eagle Pointe Dr because it is the first drive when you approach Walnut, but the problem is you walk through peoples yards (a big no no if you want them to allow us to play in the off season). So I park on the north road and walk through the vacant lot to the park road and walk the whole 600ft it takes to get to either tee.

As far as Lamoni goes ....... I like Graceland better for a tournament, but like J&B better for the casual round. I'd go with J&B for your trip ....... It's right of the interstate (opposed to "in town" for Graceland), has a better fun factor and to top it off its always nice to stop a play a course built and maintained by a die hard DGer on private land.

Last edited by Porkchop; 10-20-2010 at 01:36 PM.
Old 10-20-2010, 02:48 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 8.8
Courses Played: 23
Porkchop nailed it. I'd follow his advice. Grandview is a good casual round, but for the most part I consider it a nice rec course. The other four (Pickard, Ewing, Walnut, and Big Creek) are killer courses. They can be hell from the longs depending on how you're throwing, but they're by far the most fun.
Old 10-20-2010, 05:24 PM

Courses Played: 36
thanks!!!!! you guys hooked me up..... i will def try to get on at walnut the way you recommended. I will go with big creek over grandview for sure now... and j&b in Lamoni....
thanks again prob gonna camp at walnut woods
Old 10-20-2010, 06:02 PM
Bogey Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzz killington View Post
thanks!!!!! you guys hooked me up..... i will def try to get on at walnut the way you recommended. I will go with big creek over grandview for sure now... and j&b in Lamoni....
thanks again prob gonna camp at walnut woods
Also ........ you might want to print a Map of Walnut to take with you. The course has some flow issues that you will want to know about. They will be evident seeing how you are not starting at hole 1. For locals that know the course its no big deal, but to a visitor or newbie it could be frustrating.

FWIW ..... I always print our maps to take with me when I go on road trips. Just makes for a more enjoyable experience when you don't have to fret about finding your way around a course. In a perfect world all courses would flow with ease ..... we don't live in a perfect world.

Old 10-20-2010, 06:42 PM
Bogey Member

Here are the Latest and greatest Maps for the Des Moines Courses

Pickard Park

Ewing Park

Big Creek

Walnut Ridge

Grandview