Old 04-24-2009, 08:21 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 20.4
Courses Played: 368
Throwing Style: LHBH
Sorry to hear of his passing. I never met Jim, but I imagine he is the reason behind the most fun time I have had in disc golf. Thanksgiving weekend 2004 I met a friend of mine (my non-dging brother was with me too) in Sarasota as we were in Naples and he was in Orlando - we both needed a vacation from our family vacations so we met in the middle.

We played Lakeview and then headed over to North Water Tower. We got frustratingly lost and wasted probably 45 minutes....but that was a huge blessing in disguise as we showed up right when the Sarasota Flyers "gang golf" event was about to tee off. They invited us to play and it was more fun than I could have ever imagined: a crowd of about 40-50 all pulling coolers playing best shot 4-some teams.

I have told a lot of people about that event and most people think it sounds too slow-moving to be fun.....but with the fun-loving spirit, the ribbing and the cheering it was an absolute blast! Hearing what has been said about Jim it sounds like he certainly influenced that group to a point where their cameraderie was more important than their game. Jim taught me a good lesson that day. The "spirit of the game" of old-school disc golf that Jim personified will hopefully not be lost on the younger crop of players.

My condolences to his family and his friends who will miss him greatly.
Old 04-27-2009, 01:58 PM
Bogey Member

Years Playing: 10
Courses Played: 17
Thanx again for all the posts. His B-Day Tourney will carry the same fun-loving experience as all Tourneys at Watertower are famous for. I encourage any that are able to be there for it to come out, you will not be dissapointed. The competition is always fierce and the groups are always out for nothin but a good time.

Thank you again Dave for sharing your experience at Watertower, it is a prototypical day on the course here in Sarasota. I am glad you were able to play here.

Old 04-27-2009, 02:00 PM
Bogey Member

Years Playing: 10
Courses Played: 17
When the details of the Aug 30th tourney are available, I will post them.