Old 05-14-2009, 07:27 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 6.5
Courses Played: 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by tamahawk View Post
While I agree that Scott is a great player, and does a great job of explaining the X-Step in his video, I disagree somewhat with what he teaches being practical for the average player. None of the pro's that I have seen in tournament videos and in the Clash series throw like Scott's video explains.

For me, the Climo/Feldberg fundamentals DVD was more practical for the average player. IMO.
I disagree.

I could not focus on anything they were trying to teach. All I could think about was "Damn those are some big ears"....Sad but true.

They showed two different ways and it was just too much information for a newer player to absorb. I could not get Feldbergs hop step and climo's step is almost identical to Stokely's except he does not turn his head backwards and does not do the rubberband thing like Stokely does. I personally think the head turned all the way around does give you more distance for the same reason a 360 gives you more distance but sacrifices accuracy for the same reason a 360 sacrifices accuracy. I also like the rubberband thing and when I remember to think about it I have better accuracy. It comes down to fundamentals and I think Stokely's method is the best at showing the fundamentals of the X-step.

Old 05-14-2009, 08:08 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 7.9
Courses Played: 50
Throwing Style: RHBH
Quote:
Originally Posted by sidewinding View Post
I disagree.

I could not focus on anything they were trying to teach. All I could think about was "Damn those are some big ears"....Sad but true.

They showed two different ways and it was just too much information for a newer player to absorb. I could not get Feldbergs hop step and climo's step is almost identical to Stokely's except he does not turn his head backwards and does not do the rubberband thing like Stokely does. I personally think the head turned all the way around does give you more distance for the same reason a 360 gives you more distance but sacrifices accuracy for the same reason a 360 sacrifices accuracy. I also like the rubberband thing and when I remember to think about it I have better accuracy. It comes down to fundamentals and I think Stokely's method is the best at showing the fundamentals of the X-step.
I agree with some of the things that Stokley talked about, and agree that he did a good job of explaining what he was talking about. I guess the part that seems difficult to me was the foot position and 180deg shoulder rotation. The part where he is talking about pointing your front foot (on the first step) opposite of the basket, then rotating your shoulders 180deg, and then releasing from there makes sense for distance, but that is what doesn't seem practical to me. Most of the guys I've seen on videos barely rotate past 90deg on the shoulder turn, and still get plenty of distance. Climo states to rotate your shoulder under your chin, which is over 90, but far from 180.

The whole foot thing was just really, really awkward trying to learn as a beginner, so eventually, I went to what I would consider a more standard x-step. Just an intermediates opinion?!....