Old 05-19-2009, 11:23 PM
Bogey Member

Years Playing: 9.7
Courses Played: 5
I bought a couple fairway drivers and a ROC today. Now I just need to get out to a field and throw a bunch of discs using the advice I got. I really appreciate all of your responses. I'll keep watching the thread in case I get any more advice. I know I need all of it I can get.
Sponsored Links
Old 05-20-2009, 12:19 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 7.4
Courses Played: 102
Throwing Style: RHBH
Quote:
Originally Posted by ultimateklay View Post
Just chiming in to say thanks for all the replies. I'm in the same boat as the OP, but with under a year of experience.

Still trying to figure out all the variables like form, grip, and appropriate disc types and every time I come on here I learn something new.
If I'd known my advice would help a Spurs fan I would have kept my mouth shut

Old 05-20-2009, 01:32 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 6.3
Courses Played: 101
Throwing Style: RHBH
Quote:
Originally Posted by SomeChump View Post
They are being thrown faster than they are designed to fly
They're being thrown with too much nose down
They are being thrown with an anhyzer release
They're too old and beat and you need new ones
You release the disc toward the right (griplock)
You're applying the infamous off-axis-torque (OAT.)
These are all potential causes. It seems that if they are going straight to the right griplock is certainly a potential. Do not discount the others. I had a problem going right for a long time because my release simply put a little bit an anhyzer on the disc that I was not aware of. It really only came out when I started getting stronger and my discs started to get beat in more. I also know that the more that I have played, the more I have learned where my release point is and I know based on what my body is doing where I am going to release. There are some throws that do not go where I want them to and I can tell you one of the big reasons is that my body was not properly positioned to get the disc to do what I wanted it to do. When the pros talk about muscle memory believe them, I just need to start retraining my muscles to be in better form still. And one last thought, it is not always about just going out to a field and throwing. I do very little of this, but it does not mean that I am not working on things during a round. Do not be afraid to play doubles with yourself on the course. Change some things up. Start to learn your body.