Old 05-21-2009, 01:01 PM
*Super Moderator*

Years Playing: 8.1
Courses Played: 31
Nose down. Trajectory up.

Anyone have any pointers on keeping the nose down with a high flight path? The two seem like a contradiction and elude me but I know it's necessary for bigger D.
Old 05-21-2009, 01:15 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 10.4
Courses Played: 7
First work on getting the nose down. Make sure your grip is OK, your wrist orientation is right, that you're getting your weight forward and pulling close to your chest. Once you have the nose angle correct just start aiming a little higher.
Old 05-21-2009, 01:17 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 13
Courses Played: 258
Trying to think... hole 4, hole 15 at Ventura???
I try to push down with my thumb to keep the nose down. But, I'm not that good at throwing long and uphill... that's just how I keep the nose down.
DSCJNKY
Old 05-21-2009, 01:22 PM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 8
Courses Played: 15
Assuming your pointing your wrist down a tad, and have a nose down flat release

If your like me its getting the hight thats more of a problem than nose down.
It is said that a hyzer flip will self level the nose as it flips, thus you may have sucess throwing h-flips up to a higher line. at 90 degrees the nose cant be up or down on a disc, jsut left and right, so i think that the thinking about hte hyzerflips at height. if you can get the disc to turn over slightly thorugh the apex so much the better, and good for you! I cant....

im not good at hflips so the way i do this is with big anhyzers, i try to get the disc to pass the apex with a nose down anhyser with enough air i have been able to get 380-400 out of my boss like this, and my apex is around 20-30ft.

dan beato wrote over at dgreview that correct nose down throws with power will cause the discs to rise somewhat anyway

for reference, and nothing more normally i throw line drives 330ft at about 10ft up with a champ teebird.
Old 05-21-2009, 02:25 PM
*Super Moderator*

Years Playing: 8.1
Courses Played: 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by DSCJNKY View Post
Trying to think... hole 4, hole 15 at Ventura???
I try to push down with my thumb to keep the nose down. But, I'm not that good at throwing long and uphill... that's just how I keep the nose down.
DSCJNKY
I got no problem with 4. I throw a Monarch right at the tree trunk and goes through the mandie 9 times out of 10 and skips up. I can get to the road on 15 and that's as far as it gets. I would love to park the short position on that. 15 and 6 are the only holes I haven't birdied in one of the positions.
Old 05-21-2009, 02:38 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 6
Courses Played: 95
Throwing Style: RHBH
Nose level needs to be the phrase that we start using I feel. If you need to throw up a big ole hill then the disc needs to be on a plane that will let that happen. I have thrown into the sides of hills and been disappointed because I had the nose of the disc down too much. As far as big distance, keep the disc level to the ground as much as possible and then let it rip. In time you will find the right trajectory to get the big D. The disc will or should have a little natural rise in it anyways, someone who knows physics could explain it better than I.

Old 05-21-2009, 03:07 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 33
Courses Played: 183
Throwing Style: RHBH
Getting the disc up in the air while keeping the nose down is a subtle combination of factors.
Instead of trying to explain them I'll just say - try leaning back a little as you start to pull through.