Old 05-25-2009, 09:45 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 6.8
Courses Played: 16
Throwing Style: RHBH
I agree Neophyte. If I ever damaged my right hand, I don't know what I would do. I could probably learn to write left-handed, but the gross motor skills for a throwing motion would be really hard to develop. I've got a strong right-hand dominance for everything except typing.
Old 05-25-2009, 09:52 AM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 13.9
Courses Played: 67
I was fortunate enough to learn both FH and BH shots very early in my disc golf start. I met up with a local course "pro" who taught me FH since I was BH dominate from playing with frisbees on the beach most of my life growing up. I'm just as comfortable on the teepad FH or BH, depending on how I need the disc to fly. I definately have more distance BH, but I tend to have more accuracy FH. My personal opinion is that being equal FH and BH would be more of an advantage than learning RH, LH. Only reason I say this is from observing doubles competition last year. There was a team that my partner and I played against, that were rated higher than we were. One was lefty, one was righty. We really expected them to dominate, and in Captain's choice they were a hot team. However, in alternating shot, it destroyed them. My partner and I both are comfortable FH and BH, so in that environment we usually throw the same shot, so we didn't change our game at all, just played the course.
I commend those that can throw both!
Old 05-25-2009, 11:15 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 7.2
Courses Played: 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neophyte View Post
I am surprised that so many of you can throw with either arm. I have never tried it but I think it would be pretty difficult. I currently throw RHBH and RHFH. I actually can get my FH longer off the tee that most of my BH throws so don't know what gap this new shot would fill. Maybe the next time I am doing some field work I will give it a try.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lewis View Post
I agree Neophyte. If I ever damaged my right hand, I don't know what I would do. I could probably learn to write left-handed, but the gross motor skills for a throwing motion would be really hard to develop. I've got a strong right-hand dominance for everything except typing.
That's what I thought guys. I was suprised big-time when I got one out over 200' left handed. I couldn't believe it. I'm certainly not ready to use it on the course, for sure. I started out with just a couple single step throws first. And I was actually able to do an x-step when I finished. It did feel very weird/awkward to try!!! That's why the results surprised me so much.

And I bet I looked like a sissy boy throwing! Maybe I'll try left hand overhand too... I really look like the stereotypical "throws like a girl" when I throw a ball left handed. I'm sure that it would be pretty.
Old 05-25-2009, 11:05 PM

Years Playing: 10.9
Courses Played: 15
Awful, just awful throwing with my left arm. Though I started playing throwing side arm (right) only and switched to RHBH at year 3 to get distance, so my sidearm is very accurate. So much so that I use it a lot for my midrange game, but I use a disc that doesn't skip (like my tie-dye crush).
Old 05-25-2009, 11:13 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 5.2
Courses Played: 63
Throwing Style: LHFH
Send a message via AIM to billnchristy
I suck at throwing left handed too....and damnit...I am left handed!!!

I throw FA mostly and BH when I need to go right.

Old 05-26-2009, 05:19 PM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 7.7
Courses Played: 15
I throw both RHBH and RHFH, but since inflaming a tendon in my right elbow, i guess its gonna have to be LHBH...... LHFH you can forget about that i will just look like a t**t