Old 01-23-2011, 09:10 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 4.7
Courses Played: 1149
Throwing Style: RHBH
Cool 10KLDG - Minnesota Disc Golfers Unite

I've seen the discussions among MN members, much of it on the GGGT thread. It appears as though we have a strong showing on these forums but no formal gatherings that I have seen.

I grew up in MN, and spend about 6 months a year here, generally ~2.5 Months in the spring, ~2.5 in the fall, and ~1 in the winter.

So I propose a get together Saturday Feb 5 (the day before the superbowl) 12:00 noon at BRP. A wonderful place to play in the snow. We'll descend upon their winter "league" (not really a league, an average of about 5 people show up each week to play on saturdays in the winter) a friendly welcoming group of people.

Of course the Time/Location/Day are all up for discussion after we gather some input.

Any Discussion?
Old 01-23-2011, 09:51 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 9.2
Courses Played: 83
Quote:
Originally Posted by Martin Dewgarita View Post
I've seen the discussions among MN members, much of it on the GGGT thread. It appears as though we have a strong showing on these forums but no formal gatherings that I have seen.

I grew up in MN, and spend about 6 months a year here, generally ~2.5 Months in the spring, ~2.5 in the fall, and ~1 in the winter.

So I propose a get together Saturday Feb 5 (the day before the superbowl) 12:00 noon at BRP. A wonderful place to play in the snow. We'll descend upon their winter "league" (not really a league, an average of about 5 people show up each week to play on saturdays in the winter) a friendly welcoming group of people.

Of course the Time/Location/Day are all up for discussion after we gather some input.

Any Discussion?
It would be nice to get out with some people, but alas until I get back into the classroom fulltime and find that perfect teaching position so I do not have to work my second job, I am stuck working Friday and Saturday nights while I substitute. This means that it is nearly impossible for me to get out to BRP unless it is a holiday or a tournament. You do not go to BRP unless you are prepared to be gone from home at least four hours.

However, there is the Winter Carnival this upcoming weekend at Como Park. It is sponsored by GGGT and I am scheduled to play in both the Saturday and Sunday tournaments and the overnight marathon. I have a pass from the wife and work to attend these. I am flex starting around noon on Saturday, finishing up around 3pm, warming up at some local restaurant, returning to tee off for the marathon around 6pm, finishing that whenever my arm or legs fall off, and then flex teeing off for the Sunday tournament at 9am. If you any those are good times, let me know and we can get a larger group going. A friend of mine is playing with me starting Saturday and the marathon but cannot make the Sunday. I have two other friends who might play but definitely would only play one of the two days, again likely Saturday. Sunday sounds pretty lonely right now.

The course for the Winter Carnival is 28 temp holes set up around Como Park near the zoo. It is the same layout every year with a few minor tweaks here and there. Great for all phases of the game. If anything, it lacks huge elevation changes but beyond that it has everything else as it weaves in our mature trees of a park, a small patch of younger trees, around park landmarks and fixtures, and a few long distance open field shots. You do have to play a little cautiously because a few shots are near active roads, but we are only talking about insanely bad turnover shots that are going to cause problems.
Old 01-23-2011, 10:00 PM
* Ace Member *

I've definitely been considering the winter carnival, haven't decided on a day or times yet, but either of those could work for me, my dad would probably also be tagging along. I'll get back to ya if and when I decide to head out there.
Old 01-23-2011, 10:32 PM
Double Eagle Member

Courses Played: 36
I'll check my sched, I'm a ways away...
Old 01-23-2011, 10:44 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 7
Courses Played: 99
I'm in, who's buying my bus ticket?
Old 01-23-2011, 10:48 PM
* Ace Member *

I'll throw in $5
Old 01-23-2011, 10:58 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 7
Courses Played: 99
There we go! You guys won't be disappointed. I'm a real cheap date and I put out.
Old 01-23-2011, 11:49 PM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 4.2
Courses Played: 32
I'm playing at the winter carnival Saturday as well
Old 01-23-2011, 11:51 PM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 4.2
Courses Played: 32
But I'll play almost anywhere anytime

Old 01-24-2011, 08:24 AM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 10.4
Courses Played: 94
Winter weekends are tought for me with a kid in hockey. I'm game for anything once hockey season is ovwer with though.