Old 02-28-2011, 07:33 PM
Par Member

Years Playing: 4.1
Courses Played: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtbingster View Post
First off, your grip is wrong.
I'll have to disagree with you on this one. Just like any other grip in the game, there is no one universal "right" way to do it. Lots of peeps use all sorts of different grips. If it works than why change it up? I use the exact grip as the OP and have no problem throwing Flicks out close to 300. Go with what feels comfortable.
Old 02-28-2011, 07:36 PM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 5.7
Courses Played: 93
Throwing Style: RHBH
Quote:
Originally Posted by battsypants View Post
I'll have to disagree with you on this one. Just like any other grip in the game, there is no one universal "right" way to do it. Lots of peeps use all sorts of different grips. If it works than why change it up? I use the exact grip as the OP and have no problem throwing Flicks out close to 300. Go with what feels comfortable.
agreed
Old 02-28-2011, 07:38 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 10.9
Courses Played: 41
Hit up Schweb or Terry Gallops. They are buy far the best over hand throwers Ever. Schweb used to be a tennis pro. Try Firechickens and Whippets they take longer to pan out but with practice youll get it. BangBANG hit them putts!
Old 02-28-2011, 07:41 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 5.1
Courses Played: 27
Sloppy....I am doing exactly what you said not to do. I came in 3rd out of 7 ADV WOM at Mooky's Cup this past weekend @ Johnson Street Course. The two girls that beat me had thumbers from hell. I never throw it during practice rounds and for whatever reason, I expect it to work during PDGA's. Mine suxed

I threw it during practice yesterday and today and I can definitely tell physically that I haven't worked those muscles much. I iced after my round today to ward off any ill effects. I have Carolina Clash and Dogwood Crosstown coming up. I need this thumber to be ready, and there's really no downtime for me.

Thanks for your advice, I will gradually work into game during practice rounds and try to snap my thumb on release.

Schwebbie saw me throw one thumber and he liked it, it hit a few little branches and slowed down but got me out of jam on 7. He said I should use it off the tee at 7 (Zeb) so I can land safely for a par on that hole.

I might bug him next time I get to play on his card. He was playing for a good bit of cash so I didn't want to interrupt his train of thought. Although, if the 18 the rest of my group carded on Hole 9 didn't distract him, probably nothing would!
Old 02-28-2011, 07:43 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 5.6
Courses Played: 41
Throwing Style: LHBH
Try pointing your index finger down the plate. Most importantly, you gotta really hook your thumb around the rim. However it will fit in your hand comfortably, make sure you hook your thumb and grip tight.
Old 02-28-2011, 07:43 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 5.1
Courses Played: 27
I will definitely ask for advice next time I stumble onto Terry or Schwebbie's card!!!
Old 02-28-2011, 08:09 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 4
Courses Played: 31
There is no 100% perfect way to grip for a thumber (or any shot for that matter)...do what works for you. Hand size and other variables factor in.
Old 02-28-2011, 08:14 PM
*Super Moderator*

Years Playing: 7.7
Courses Played: 31
But I need to start with the basics. Any advice?

Am I even gripping it right? That's what I use.
Am I supposed to be throwing it really high? For distance I go with about a 40-50 degree angle.
Does Incr Height=Incr Distance? No
Why does my disc turn left sometimes? Please elaborate
Headwind secrets? The disc will turn more quickly. Aim more left than you normally would or disc up to something more stable.
Do I need to get an estimate on my distance to the point the disc rolls and turns? Huh? And how far it floats after that turn? Huh?
Do I just stick with one disc or do I use many more for different situations? I use two. See below

zenbot's OH Rant: Copy and Pasted for your perusal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zenbotticus "robotface" rex
There is conventional wisdom that can help you with disc selection. I don't subscribe to the theory that you should only use overstable discs.

Overstable discs will complete their turn more slowly. This increases the amount of time the disc is parallel to the ground which keeps it in the air longer.

Less stable discs complete their turn more quickly. Less distance but I find them to be more accurate as the disc starts falling to the ground quicker and is less influenced by wind and variances in your release angle.

One other note is that if you're throwing an understable thumber you need to aim slightly more left of the target than you would with an overstable disc. (Assuming you're throwing RH)

To get you started the Firebird is a very popular disc for thumbers. I use my for distance overhands and a Teebird for shorter shots. Keep in mind that overhand shots are rough on discs. I recommend premium plastic.
Old 02-28-2011, 08:17 PM
Birdie Member

While Brian may THROW excellent thumbers, remember he is also VERY strong. That translates being able to hold the disc WELL using VERY little actual skin contact on the disc. He likes that "hook thumber" grip. You may not.

As a few others have stated here, there is NO "right" way to hold the disc when throwing a thumber. But whatever way you DO end up throwing it, it must do several things.

1. "Feel natural"
2. Allow for a clean release
3. Be on the same line as a line from your elbow to your wrist extended
4. Allow for the disc to be showing its underside to your ear at release

Eventually you WILL find a comfortable, efficient grip.

But now let's concentrate on the actual throwing motion.
Be VERY conscious of keeping your elbow (of the throwing arm) as high as possible at release. And lead with it. Think of hammering a nail in a wall about 7' up. And the edge of the disc is the business end of the hammer. If you a) don't have your elbow higher than your shoulder and b) don't warm up properly, you'll run the risk of injury, etc.
And go into things slowly. If you haven't done a LOT of overhand-type throwing (over the last year...or even in your entire life), use the "1-yr plan". Incorporate at least a dozen or so HALF-EFFORT (or less!!) overhand throws in every practice session you do for this year (yeah, I know - boring) working up to 4/5th-effort by the end of the summer, BUT by this time next year - at a minimum - you'll have 1) a "seasoned" arm for overhands and 2) will have added 50' onto whatever you're throwing now.

Karl

Ps: If you have the past 3 years of the PDGA's magazines (2 different publishers), take a look at the 2 articles in there (about overhands). Just make sure to use common sense in matching up the diagrams / pictures with the wording - as BOTH magazines butchered the articles and mis-printed the matching-up of the pic / word numbers.

Old 02-28-2011, 08:25 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 18.9
Courses Played: 78
i'll vouch for the fact that karl throws the piss out of a thumber... he's the first person i saw make the epic do its barrel roll trick.