Disc Golf Center
Old 05-25-2011, 12:41 PM
Suffers from Delusions of Grandeur

Years Playing: 13
Courses Played: 134
Throwing Style: RHBH
Quote:
Originally Posted by dstearns5 View Post
If he is still stubborn about it, he'll probably just have to figure it out for himself. Some people as just like that. Just focus on your game, and he won't be able to ignore your progression vs his over time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pzacch05 View Post
buy a blank disc like a valkyrie or a fairway driver and tell him its a new speed 13.5 prototype. then after he played a whole round and throws it well (hopefully) tell him hey dumb*** thats what ive been trying to get you to do from the get go.

i gave up trying to help the stubborn people with their game. ive got a few friends who wont listen and a few friends who do. a yr ago the friends that didnt listen were killing the friends who did. this year the friends who listened are decimating them, and they cant figure out why. i just laugh and tell them 'i already told you that you have crappy form and need to work on *blank*' and then i usually get the 'that cant be it' type of response.
really dude, tell him if he isnt going to listen to your advice or at least consider it then dont bitch when youre killing him every round of disc.
Old 05-25-2011, 12:46 PM

Years Playing: 5.4
Courses Played: 20
I am in a similiar situation, I have a friend that REFUSES to throw anything but Nuke, Destroyer, Boss, Chaos, and any other +10 speed driver you can think of. I guess he just hasn't found that perfect one yet. He has 22 disc in his bag and 15 of them are high speed drivers.
Old 05-25-2011, 01:37 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 9.3
Courses Played: 235
Quote:
Originally Posted by pzacch05 View Post
buy a blank disc like a valkyrie or a fairway driver and tell him its a new speed 13.5 prototype. then after he played a whole round and throws it well (hopefully) tell him hey dumb*** thats what ive been trying to get you to do from the get go.
Awesome idea. Very clever!

Quote:
Originally Posted by zenbot View Post
Tell him a bunch of strangers from the internet are concerned about his progress as a player.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emoney View Post
Have a pro or skilled Am outdrive his sidewinder with a putter. That will open his eyes. I did that today with a couple guys i met and shattered there universe. They both had innova apes in there bag, damn noobs
A couple of weeks ago I was playing at OG and met up with a guy I used to know and his buddy. They had both recently started playing. Both were carrying Apes, Kantanas, etc.

Most of my distance drives I was using a Teebird and they were amazed that I was out-driving them and with accuracy. When we got to hole #12 (178'), I told them that the Ape, Katana, etc was toooo much. I don't think they understood.

So I proceeded to park the hole with a putter to demonstrate. They were shocked. Not that I'm a wizard off the tee (although that's what I threw ), but it was nice to make a point and then be able to back it up.

Just the other day I ran into one of the guys (the one who seemed more open to suggestions ) and he informed me that he bought a Teebird and is loving it. He said he was having more control which for him equaled more distance. We 'd
Old 05-25-2011, 01:52 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 5.3
Courses Played: 99
^
If the companies didn't advertize the speed 13 as beginnner discs, then we might get somewhere. I wish I would have started with a magic and a buzzz.

Last edited by kcplease; 05-25-2011 at 01:55 PM.
Old 05-25-2011, 01:54 PM
Par Member

Years Playing: 6.5
Courses Played: 7
Let people have their fun. When they are ready to improve they will listen. If not, at least they are enjoying themselves.
Old 05-26-2011, 08:07 AM
Par Member

Years Playing: 4.9
Courses Played: 25
start gambling with him.
Old 05-26-2011, 09:18 AM
Double Eagle Member

Courses Played: 74
This is the analogy I've used with new players in the past:

The ball golf equivalent of a Katana/Nuke/Vulcan/etc. would be a trampoline face club with a 20ft long shaft and a 2 inch club face.
Old 05-26-2011, 09:54 PM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 6.3
Courses Played: 23
a few days ago I went to a field for some work. I threw every disc in my bag in order starting with the slowest and ending with the fastest. I threw my entire bag this way 10 times.

disclaimer: I mostly throw RHFH and am trying to learn a BH

my bag is aero, aviar, comet, element x, roc, leopard, beast, crush, x-caliber, flick, groove.

things I noticed: 8 times a leopard was the farthest throw. once it was an aviar (strangely good throw i think) once it was a beast. 4 times my flick was the worst throw (way too overstable for me).

have your friend throw a bunch of different speed discs and compare distance and accuracy.
Old 05-27-2011, 09:09 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 8.6
Courses Played: 38
If he doesn't know it yet. Maybe explaining that the "speed" of a disc is not how fast a disc is (Innova's chart), but how much speed the person throwing it needs to generate in order for the disc to do what it's designed to do. So you can tell him that a Sidewinder is not slow. It just requiers less arm speed for it to do what it's suppose to do. So if he can't generate enough arm speed to make a Sidewinder perform, then he won't be able to make a Nuke fly the way it's suppose to. Heck, if he used a slower disc, he might out drive you and your buddies. Might not be the case, but at least tell him that and see if that works?

Old 05-27-2011, 10:23 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 6.8
Courses Played: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emoney View Post
Have a pro or skilled Am outdrive his sidewinder with a putter. That will open his eyes. I did that today with a couple guys i met and shattered there universe. They both had innova apes in there bag, damn noobs
This what I do at work at Disc Nation. We get lots of novice/rec players that come in talking about crushing a disc 400ft or so. So if they really get under my skin and refuse my disc/technique advice I will go show them how to throw. Once they go outside to test their vulcans and nuke ss, then I will follow them outside with some putters/mids off the shelf and start crushing. They always ask what I am throwing and half the time they buy the disc(great for business!)