Old 06-30-2011, 09:29 AM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 3.9
Courses Played: 19
I'm just amazed that people assume that every lost disc is found by someone. Especially if the disc ends up in the water. Your missing discs could just still be missing, you know. I know that with 40 discs, the odds are not good that ALL of them are unfound, but still ....

Of course, when I lose a disc, I usually lose it in a place that few disc golfers ever venture -- deep woods after a bad shank, the bottom of a nasty lake, etc. I've never had any returned to me, but I've never found anyone else's to return, either.
Old 06-30-2011, 12:17 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 3.7
Courses Played: 13
Throwing Style: RHBH
my home course got a few new holes for the worlds coming up in a month... long headwind shot with less and less fairway the farther you go. first shot was a firebird, came up short and hyzer so i said cool lets toss provs...

threw my brian wilson orc about five feet high into the thickest healthiest poison oak bush ive ever seen. posion oak kicks my ass so after a whole stogie, i said **** it, and i ordered another white xout orc at 168 last night...

hes gone for now, but maybe not forever...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg lostbwil.jpg (21.0 KB, 19 views)
Old 06-30-2011, 12:59 PM

Years Playing: 2.9
Courses Played: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by 164StarValkyrie View Post
**I swear to the disc karma gods that if you return my Orion, I will ALWAYS try to return a found disc!!!**
I'm just a newb to DG (this is, in fact, my first post) so I may not know what the heck I am talking about, but I'm going to say it anyway. And I mean this as no disrespect to you.

If everyone took the attitude that they would not return a disc unless one was returned to them first, nobody would do it. Ever. Right?

You do the right thing, not because of how it benefits you, but because it's the right thing to do.

If I found a disc with a name and number on it, I would call. Every time.
Old 06-30-2011, 01:16 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 18.9
Courses Played: 93
I really enjoy calling the number on the disc, because you never know what to expect. I get a kick out of human interaction, in general though. That said I'm not driving your disc to you. What I usually do is say "look, here's where I will be playing over the next week, can you meet me there?" And usually it works out. Hell, half the time the person tells me to keep it.
Old 06-30-2011, 05:23 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 4.6
Courses Played: 5
The other day my friend found a 170 Champion Wraith, brand new and fly dyed, in a line of pine trees to the right side of the hole. He picked it up and put it in his bag and we played through a few more holes with my friends. No one was looking for it so he figured he would just keep it. We caught up to a group of two guys and one of them asked us if we had seen a Champion Wraith, my friend gave it back to him and the dude was happy to have it back. We all joked around that he should've given my friend a reward, so a couple holes later we were ready to tee off when the guy thanked my friend and threw him a fairly new Champion Orc. I thought it was pretty cool to see my friend get something for returning the guy's disc, and didn't expect the dude to give him anything. Good karma.
Old 06-30-2011, 06:01 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 5.9
Courses Played: 18
Throwing Style: RHFH
Quote:
Originally Posted by wkelly42 View Post
I'm just amazed that people assume that every lost disc is found by someone. Especially if the disc ends up in the water. Your missing discs could just still be missing, you know. I know that with 40 discs, the odds are not good that ALL of them are unfound, but still ....

Of course, when I lose a disc, I usually lose it in a place that few disc golfers ever venture -- deep woods after a bad shank, the bottom of a nasty lake, etc. I've never had any returned to me, but I've never found anyone else's to return, either.
I found a buddies disc over a year later right where he lost it, in the water.

I was finally able to return my first disc just the other day. A Champ Destroyer.

So far we've never gotten a call, email, or lost disc back.
Old 06-30-2011, 11:00 PM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 3.3
Courses Played: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlihlen View Post
I'm just a newb to DG (this is, in fact, my first post) so I may not know what the heck I am talking about, but I'm going to say it anyway. And I mean this as no disrespect to you.

If everyone took the attitude that they would not return a disc unless one was returned to them first, nobody would do it. Ever. Right?

You do the right thing, not because of how it benefits you, but because it's the right thing to do.

If I found a disc with a name and number on it, I would call. Every time.
Your first post gets a thumbs up form me!
Old 07-01-2011, 01:22 PM

Years Playing: 23.6
Courses Played: 53
Phone Number VS Email

So, my question is which works better for you on lost discs? I've been of the opinion that email was better, but I'm changing my tune a bit. I found several discs (on the same round) recently. I got a phone number off of one and texted the owner immediately. I got a response, and was able to return the disc during the same round. That worked out very well!
Old 07-01-2011, 01:35 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 14.9
Courses Played: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottWight View Post
So, my question is which works better for you on lost discs? I've been of the opinion that email was better, but I'm changing my tune a bit. I found several discs (on the same round) recently. I got a phone number off of one and texted the owner immediately. I got a response, and was able to return the disc during the same round. That worked out very well!
Phone number for sure, preferably a cell phone. I've both called people and been called myself while still on course.

Old 07-01-2011, 01:42 PM
Bogey Member

Years Playing: 8.9
Courses Played: 6
Throwing Style: RHFH
Lost my 2nd ever disc the other day. I was playing at hindman park in Little Rock and I made a putt that hit the basket and looked like it would stay right below for an easy par. But my favorite aviar putter decided to roll about 15 feet down the hill anf into a creek! After going in the creek and looking for about 15 min it was a lost cause. Luckily i carry extras of pretty much all of my important disc but i was sad to loose my putter of about 5 years.