Old 07-18-2011, 08:04 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 9.4
Courses Played: 88
I am pretty well set in mids except in the really understable slot. I like my Meteors but that is the one spot I am willing to try something new. Everything else and I feel good to go. If, however, it is total awesomeness where I currently use a Star Ontario Roc, then we will see.
Old 07-18-2011, 09:00 AM
Double Eagle Member

Courses Played: 74
Quote:
Originally Posted by smarkquart View Post
I am pretty well set in mids except in the really understable slot. I like my Meteors but that is the one spot I am willing to try something new. Everything else and I feel good to go. If, however, it is total awesomeness where I currently use a Star Ontario Roc, then we will see.
Give the Fuse a shot. Really a good disc. I personally like the Gold Line plastic.

Back on topic: I'm excited to throw one of these things. I haven't given the Ion enough chance to make my bag, but I'm a fan of the Vector. And I'll try any disc that comes out of the Mighty MidWest!
Old 07-18-2011, 09:47 AM
* Ace Member *

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirRaph View Post
Give the Fuse a shot. Really a good disc. I personally like the Gold Line plastic.

Back on topic: I'm excited to throw one of these things. I haven't given the Ion enough chance to make my bag, but I'm a fan of the Vector. And I'll try any disc that comes out of the Mighty MidWest!
Already gave the Fuse a shot in Gold Line. I could not dial it in for underpowered shots. I had some good long distance turn overs and some nice flips, but at that point it was basically acting like a glorified fairway driver. The Meteor is far better when needing precision when powered down.

If going with an all Lat bag, the Fuse and Pain are a dynamic punch, but in a mixed bag where I am trying not to use niche discs, I have better choices.

Back to MVP, I feel the same way with the Ion. I could never get it to work as a putter. I have had some great practice putts with it at home where there is no pressure to make the putts, but when I use it in actual rounds it is less than stellar. Yet I find that it approaches and makes runs at the basket extremely well, especially the 50-100 foot range. Only my X-Link Ridge flies better for these shots, but since both discs would be niche discs for me, they did not make the final cut. I use a SSS Wizard for long approaches and runs because it is no slouch either and I can make a few putts with it.

While I am satisfied with the Meteor, I would not call its spot solidified. That spot needs to be a mid that when powered down can hold a hyzer without fading hard and doing so so I can concentrate on the point of release. I could power up a putter, but then I run the risk of trying too hard to hit its line without flipping the putter. This mid also needs to take some power, flip, and turn, but do so without being fliptastic and burning into a roller. The Meteor does this well, but if the Axis flies the same, I will definitely give it a try.

Approaching is the best part of my game, and knowing this gives me more confidence in my driving, which then in theory gives me more birdie opportunities. I am pretty finicky about my mids and what they need to do.
Old 07-18-2011, 10:55 AM
* Ace Member *

The Fuse is slower than the Meteor, so it actually powers down better. If that's not your experience then you probably just never got really comfortable with the Fuse, or the Fuse you had was more stable than the Meteor. The Meteor is a niche disc, speed and glidewise comparing to fairway drivers. Meteors also have more LSS than the Fuse. Either way I think the Axis is going to be a more HSS disc than either of those two.

Also, putts inside the circle are all in your head. I'm pretty sure it was something between you and the Ion and not the Ion itself. Many of us know how great a putter putter it is. Also, though I know you probably meant somehow better for you, I'm going to be a smartass now and say that the Ridge NEVER flies better than an Ion because the Ridge doesn't really fly...It just pushes through the air.
Old 07-20-2011, 02:00 AM
.:MVP Company Rep:.

Years Playing: 9.6
Courses Played: 17
Throwing Style: RHBH
Here is the future stamp on our future disc: the Axis.

Also, all of our discs now have a patent pending, which will be seen on all of our discs in the near future.

Old 07-20-2011, 02:24 AM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 3.4
Courses Played: 5
It look's so Beautiful!
Old 07-20-2011, 02:28 AM
* Ace Member *

Quote:
Originally Posted by discspeed View Post
The Fuse is slower than the Meteor, so it actually powers down better. If that's not your experience then you probably just never got really comfortable with the Fuse, or the Fuse you had was more stable than the Meteor. The Meteor is a niche disc, speed and glidewise comparing to fairway drivers. Meteors also have more LSS than the Fuse. Either way I think the Axis is going to be a more HSS disc than either of those two.
I agree that the Meteor does take up a niche spot in my bag and I will add that my experience comes from a differential of at least 100 to 1 throws in favor of the Meteor over the Fuse. I threw the Meteor before, tried the Fuse for a few months, only felt comfortable using it for long "trick" shots in the forest, and then eventually and slowly went back to the Meteor when I found the Buzzz SS I was trying was unable to hit the shots I remember the Meteor making.

Being that I am 1/4 Swedish and with my love affair with the Gold Line River, I always contemplate giving the Fuse another try, but I cannot justify spending 42 dollars on three Fuses (the minimum I need of a particular disc spread over the two bags I use for rounds and practice) when I can get Meteors a lot cheaper because they are misprints. Sad, but that is the life of a niche disc.

Maybe I have a few slow Meteors, or more likely I am comfortable with how I use them in that niche spot which is a slower requirement, but based upon my faulty long-term memory of throwing the Fuse last summer I do remember the Fuse being a lot faster with a lot more lateral movement.

Quote:
Originally Posted by discspeed View Post
Also, putts inside the circle are all in your head. I'm pretty sure it was something between you and the Ion and not the Ion itself. Many of us know how great a putter putter it is. Also, though I know you probably meant somehow better for you, I'm going to be a smartass now and say that the Ridge NEVER flies better than an Ion because the Ridge doesn't really fly...It just pushes through the air.
I agree for the most part that poor putting is by far most affected by one's ability to concentrate and summon confidence. However, and this is the hard part to explain, the Ion never felt right in my hand for any putts between 25-40 feet. In order to generate that little extra snap and power, above and beyond the flick of the wrist that is so automatic for the shorter putts, my fingers actually felt crammed or smooshed against the rim. A fan grip did not feel right at all and I cannot generate power from that. But that is just me. When I hold it like I am going to approach, then it is not as much of an issue anymore. While the Ridge is not perfect (grip-wise), I do feel more comfortable gripping it. Right now the only putter that seems half-way comfortable in my hands are Pro Pigs, if that says anything.

I have a dyed soft Ion I will never give up, so I am never going to completely stop practicing with the Ion, but for the time being I am auditioning other putters.

As for the Axis, I will definitely feel one up when they come into the store.
Old 07-22-2011, 02:42 AM
Thread_Killer :::crickets:::

Years Playing: 12.6
Courses Played: 21
operation spank it to the axis, commencing in . . .
Old 07-28-2011, 11:13 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 5.1
Courses Played: 26
Any word on an estimated release date?

Old 08-16-2011, 03:30 AM
Par Member

Days, weeks, months? Anything?