Old 08-31-2011, 06:05 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 6.3
Courses Played: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by dstearns5 View Post
I admit that I have my doubts, but we will see. It feels a bit too floppy for me, but I will give it a shot. Time will tell.......
I think you got the soft one. I like both Soft and Medium. Nice about the soft one is that when it hits the tree, it bounces much less off from the tree than regular discs.

So far I like to drive with medium and putt with soft, but it might change as I just started using Ion last week. (I used to use Voodoo for about a year).
Old 08-31-2011, 06:18 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 6.3
Courses Played: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by E_Rock25 View Post
I got a Med to see what the hype was about but I don't like it at all. I will give it a bit more time but I don't like the feel of the plastic and even the Med is too soft for my liking. I do think it would help my form if I continue to throw it because it seems very OAT sensitive. I am throwing it FH for drives and upshots at the moment it didn't do to bad for putting but it will never replace my Wizards for putting.
I did get Ion when it first came out (sometime last year) and at first I did not like it and it just sat there as I am using Voodoos (for past a year, the Organic Voodoo for putting and Evo Voodoo for approach/driving) (I started disc golf in 2008 and I started with KC Pro Avair for about a year, then I switched to Vibram Ridge, then Voodoo and now Ion). When the Proton Ion came out, and I saw someone posted in DGCR saying that he did try Ion at first and really did not like it that much, but as he start to use it more and eventually love it very much. So I bought Proton Ion and start using it and it takes little bit adjustment to get used to Ion's flight characteristic and I finally started to like it (the key is to play entire round with just Ion so you will get to know Ion lot better as you will try all kinds of shots with it). Mike C's recent posting of why he switched from Wizard to Ion kind of sealed the deal for me. He is very much correct in his assessment of Ions and Wizards.

For me, the key adjustment for me between Ion and Voodoo for putting is putting bit more spin and man, it flies real straight to basket. Ion can fly really straight without much effort much more than Voodoo.

As for driving, it drives farther than Voodoo, about 20 feet more. I was able to drive Ion about 260 to 280 feet average with enough height. (I am jealous of Mike C's ability to drive Ion something like 380 feet, wow! I am working on getting my timing right as I had one to one session with Blake T himself)

We know that Gateway's run/plastic are quite inconsistent and I agree with Mike C that key advantage of MVP is creating more consistent runs of discs which is big key.

If you want to order Proton Ion, you might want to go to DGR and order DGR stamped Proton Ion and they will take orders until after Labor Day weekend then they will send the orders to MVP to do stamping.

Good Luck!
Old 08-31-2011, 06:19 PM
Par Member

Courses Played: 50
Great video. I always love seeing people bomb putters. After seeing that, I think I need to work on driving with putters. Mike, How are you gripping the ion? Are you using the power grip?
Old 08-31-2011, 06:36 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 5.9
Courses Played: 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by 811rv View Post
I think you got the soft one. I like both Soft and Medium. Nice about the soft one is that when it hits the tree, it bounces much less off from the tree than regular discs.

So far I like to drive with medium and putt with soft, but it might change as I just started using Ion last week. (I used to use Voodoo for about a year).
Just looked at mine. It a soft.....damn it! Guess I need to buy another.
Old 08-31-2011, 06:45 PM
* Ace Member *

Quote:
Originally Posted by ztrain View Post
Great video. I always love seeing people bomb putters. After seeing that, I think I need to work on driving with putters. Mike, How are you gripping the ion? Are you using the power grip?
I guarantee he is...You can't throw putters like that without a power grip.
Old 08-31-2011, 06:49 PM
* Ace Member *

I hit the basket about 2 inches short for what would have been my first ace with the new clear Ions today. It was my 173 soft on a 300' hyzer.
Old 08-31-2011, 06:50 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 5.9
Courses Played: 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by discspeed View Post
I guarantee he is...You can't throw putters like that without a power grip.
I disagree. I can do it using a modified fork grip. Granted, Mike is better than I, but it is possible.
Old 08-31-2011, 06:52 PM
* Ace Member *

BTW, great videos Mike. I knew the day would come where you would switch from Wizards to Ions when I saw you first Wizard videos. You've GOT to try one of the clear softs...You might just get another 10-20' over the Ions you are currently throwing. The glide on those things is unreal, and they are stable enough to hold a hyzer as far as you can throw them while still pushing forward.
Old 08-31-2011, 06:54 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 4.5
Courses Played: 25
Throwing Style: RHBH
Send a message via AIM to xJFK
went ahead and picked up a soft ion. we'll see how i like it once it gets here

Old 08-31-2011, 06:55 PM
* Ace Member *

Quote:
Originally Posted by dstearns5 View Post
I disagree. I can do it using a modified fork grip. Granted, Mike is better than I, but it is possible.
What I really meant is that you need to pretty much use the grip you use for driving your other discs to throw putters that far, not the specific 4 fingers on the rim power grip. I also use a modified stack/fork grip, but it's the same one I use for my drivers. It's not going to happen with a fan grip (at least not for people without major gorilla hands).
Closed Thread