Old 08-31-2011, 09:36 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 5.1
Courses Played: 27
Throwing Style: RHBH
Quote:
Originally Posted by ztrain View Post
Mike, How are you gripping the ion? Are you using the power grip?
Yup. I use 3 grips in disc golf. Fingers fanned out for my putting grip, 4 finger power grip for every BH drive and approach, and two finger stack for my FH grip.

BTW tried to film a round at Portage Lakes, which is waaaaaay more wooded and technical. Got there too late and ran out of light. I think I got in 14 or 15 holes before you can stop seeing what I'm doing. I'll get together all the good parts and post em.

@Discspeed: Plan to grab a few of the clear ones soon, gonna order a few more now that I know which weight I like for putting, drives etc.
Old 08-31-2011, 09:42 PM
Par Member

Years Playing: 3.1
Courses Played: 22
so Mike, now that you have a medium ion to go with your two softs do you notice a difference in the flight or for putting?

I'm going to pick up an ion to test out, but am not sure whether to go with soft or medium.
Old 08-31-2011, 09:45 PM
* Ace Member *

Well my medium is 164, my softs are in the 170's, so it's easier to make go dead straight without having to rip it too hard. I'd like a 175 med because the stiffness helps for rollers, otherwise I prefer the feel of the softs for everything. I can't really make a direct comparison between the plastics because of the weights.
Old 08-31-2011, 09:48 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 5.8
Courses Played: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by ztrain View Post
Great video. I always love seeing people bomb putters. After seeing that, I think I need to work on driving with putters. Mike, How are you gripping the ion? Are you using the power grip?
Mike, wonder if you can show pictures of your grips on Ion for driving (backhand and forehand)? I am curious.

Blake T says the key is tight grip (as much as possible) in order to generate strong snap. Blake says my grip kept slipping and I need to have stronger grip. So that is why I been doing hammer drill for several months now. I notice my grip is tighter than before but still ways to go.

I use backhand power grip on Ion for driving and my index finger tip did not touch the bottom of disc while rest of my finger's tips do touch the bottom of grip. That is because the first joint of index finger rest on the bottom of the rim. Should I adjust this power grip so that tip of my index finger touch at the bottom of disc which means first joint of index finger would be inside the rim rather than right on bottom of the rim (or edge).

Nikko's driving grip is interesting. I notice more parts of his hand is on top of disc more than most other players.

I use fan grip for putting or controlled approach shots.
Old 08-31-2011, 09:48 PM
Par Member

Years Playing: 3.1
Courses Played: 22
ahh, I see. So those heavy softs fade a bit more, eh? hmmmm...
Old 08-31-2011, 09:49 PM
Eagle Member

Mike, if possible, I would like to see pictures of your fan grip as well. Thanks!
Old 08-31-2011, 09:55 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 8.8
Courses Played: 76
MVP lacks an overstable disc. Everybody always seems to be looking for champ whippets. Fill that gap, please.
Old 08-31-2011, 09:56 PM
* Ace Member *

Quote:
Originally Posted by 811rv View Post
Mike, wonder if you can show pictures of your grips on Ion for driving (backhand and forehand)? I am curious.
Sure.

BH - http://i.imgur.com/uIuz1.jpg http://i.imgur.com/HNk7N.jpg
FH - http://imgur.com/LTw6C
Putting - http://imgur.com/MAAPZ http://imgur.com/FN8iX

Quote:
Originally Posted by jenb View Post
MVP lacks an overstable disc. Everybody always seems to be looking for champ whippets. Fill that gap, please.
Get a domey Vector and you'll be set for shorter stuff.
Old 08-31-2011, 09:58 PM
Eagle Member

Quote:
Vector? It is overstable mid.

Old 08-31-2011, 09:59 PM
* Ace Member *

Quote:
MVP has produced only two discs, but one of them (the Vector) is fairly overstable. Beyond that I know they plan to eventually offer a full line of discs, which I hope includes an overstable utility disc somewhat like the Champ Whippet.
Closed Thread