Old 09-06-2011, 09:38 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 3.7
Courses Played: 122
Throwing Style: RHBH
Send a message via AIM to New013
So are the opaque ions going pop? If so, are the new clear ones any different?
Old 09-06-2011, 09:41 PM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 5.6
Courses Played: 8
Throwing Style: LHBH
I have been using the ion for a year and a half now. I won't give them up for anything, I use the soft for putting inside 50' and a medium for outside 50' and drives. I am sure it is 90% mental but what sport isn't. I feel confident when I step up to a put that I am going to hit it with my ion I can't say the same for the 10+ putters I have tried in the past.
Old 09-06-2011, 09:42 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 4
Courses Played: 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by New013 View Post
I believe the opaque ions are no more. The transparent is the standard production model now.
Old 09-06-2011, 09:48 PM
Thread_Killer :::crickets:::

Years Playing: 11.9
Courses Played: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike C View Post
So....I'm really excited for the Axis. As soon as I have one I'll be taking it and my camera to Oak Ledges to test it out at a nice wooded course.
yea i am too, cant wait...looks like a nice course to test something less stable out (or in general)
Old 09-06-2011, 09:57 PM
* Ace Member *

Quote:
Originally Posted by New013 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by maansmit View Post
I believe the opaque ions are no more. The transparent is the standard production model now.
This is correct. Proton plastic is now clear and it will be this way for all of MVP's discs. This doesn't however mean that MVP can't make an opaque Ion again some time in the future...it just won't be Proton plastic.

I'm pretty certain you've read my reviews of the new clear Ions on the Ion thread @DGR, so I'll be quick...Basically the clears are more overstable than older Ions, both in terms of HSS and LSS. IMO they grip and glide marginally better as well. In terms of visibility, I recommend the orange color if you are going to be driving it in thickly vegetated areas.
Old 09-06-2011, 11:13 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 4.8
Courses Played: 15
The Axis is what I am waiting for...still. Then I will just be curious on if they are capable of making a true understable disc with so much weight on the ouside edge. I know the early Ions I had where the overmold almost overtook the entire beed were still not really understable but just neutral, but I would like something like that in regular production but as they work their way up to faster discs, it may not be enough to just be beedless.
Old 09-06-2011, 11:16 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 5.4
Courses Played: 196
I have too many Fuses, Pains and Cores to jump right into an Axis. But if people I trust lead me to believe it's worthy I'll probably buy a few for a tryout.
Old 09-06-2011, 11:51 PM
* Ace Member *

Quote:
Originally Posted by Technohic View Post
The Axis is what I am waiting for...still. Then I will just be curious on if they are capable of making a true understable disc with so much weight on the ouside edge. I know the early Ions I had where the overmold almost overtook the entire beed were still not really understable but just neutral, but I would like something like that in regular production but as they work their way up to faster discs, it may not be enough to just be beedless.
I think in MVP's first couple of discs we've already seen that the effect that the gyroscopic weight distribution has does not trump disc design. Both the Ion and Vector have somewhat overstable designs, and both are now slightly overstable to overstable. I think straight to understable designs will also yield straight to understable MVP discs. I think with the gyro you have to kind of overdesign in one direction or the other (look at the Vector's huge bead), but I think it's very easy to imagine an understable gyro disc.
Old 09-07-2011, 12:45 AM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 24
Courses Played: 48
Weighted rims just magnify the effects of spin. I don't think you will be able to create a truly understable gyro disc as the spin will prevent flipping. That being said a dead neutral disc should be very doable. Of course stability is in the eyes of the OATer.

Old 09-07-2011, 01:43 AM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 4.8
Courses Played: 20
I'm willing to bet they can make a truly understable disc, but I think what discspeed is correct with designing them. You'll get either overstable, neutral, or understable, not a lot of in-between. I wouldn't expect to see big exaggerated s-curves out of them, more long and stretched out flights if anything. Or a disc that holds a right turn all the way out of the box. Either way I'm stoked for the axis and can't wait to get my hands on one.
Closed Thread