Old 08-28-2013, 11:15 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 15.3
Courses Played: 59
Throwing Style: RHBH
Quote:
Originally Posted by iacas View Post
Throw linearly instead of around.
Proper form does help eliminate grip lock. Also just keeping your run-up & throw smooth helps a lot also. Trying to throw to hard leads to throwing on angles you didn't want, grip lock & form issues.
Old 08-29-2013, 08:55 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 10.5
Courses Played: 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by JedV View Post
My friends and I have noticed that focusing on pulling straight across the chest (as opposed to allowing the arm to swing around the body) reduced or otherwise eliminated our so called grip lock issues.
That and starting your pull before or at the same time as you plant your front foot is a major cause as well. You have to start your pull after you plant your foot. If you start early you'll get griplock.
Old 08-29-2013, 10:56 AM
Par Member

For mids & putters / all approaches: fan grip. No more grip lock, and a HUGE improvement to my game.
Old 08-29-2013, 11:03 AM
* Ace Member *

Quote:
Originally Posted by Earic02 View Post
For mids & putters / all approaches: fan grip. No more grip lock, and a HUGE improvement to my game.
Don't you lose distance on your mids with a fan grip though? I use a grip similar to mj. Finger and pink curled into the rim and my two other fingers fanned out. It generates spin easier and gives me more control but I still grip lock sometimes
Old 08-29-2013, 01:33 PM
Double Eagle Member

Courses Played: 53
I've never found griplock to be a result of actual grip strength, annnnd - now that I read the first page I see it's been well covered. Straight pull, definitely! I'm not great and I miss my lines often, but I literally can't remember the last time I cursed "Griplock!" I played with a guy last night who DID, and he had a very rounded BH form, and his pull through was more than 12 inches out from the "power zone." No wonder!

It's especially tricky on your hyzer shots, since a rounded throw gives pretty good results for that release angle and you might not even know you're doing it. A straight pull on a hyzer angle will generate more power with a more controllable release point.
Old 08-29-2013, 02:02 PM
Par Member

Years Playing: 1.1
Courses Played: 10
As someone who is still learning, switching from the four finger power grip to a three or two finger grip seems to be decreasing the number of griplocks i'm getting. It feels more forgiving when my timing and form gets off.
Old 08-30-2013, 07:42 AM
Double Eagle Member

Courses Played: 53
The stacked grip might even be better, in terms of control and ease of release. It's good enough for KC and has helped me a lot as well as those I've recommended try it. It works for every throw - drives, mids, approaches. Since your fingers are stacked back, it's easy to get the "pop" you need for putts too. Same grip, every throw.
Old 08-30-2013, 05:01 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 4.3
Courses Played: 28
Throwing Style: RHBH
Quote:
Originally Posted by whentherainscome View Post
The stacked grip might even be better, in terms of control and ease of release. It's good enough for KC and has helped me a lot as well as those I've recommended try it. It works for every throw - drives, mids, approaches. Since your fingers are stacked back, it's easy to get the "pop" you need for putts too. Same grip, every throw.
I finally gave the stacked grip a try this morning and was happy with the increased accuracy I experienced. Gonna try more throws with it very soon.

Thanks for the tip.
Old 08-31-2013, 02:05 AM

When I have a bad drive it is the opposite issue. I'm so paranoid about grip lock I don't grip hard enough and it slides out at about 10 or 11 o'clock.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmk1978 View Post
The biggest help for me is slowing my feet down and concentrating on the hit being over my pivot foot. Also don't try to throw it a mile. Smooth is better than fast and jerky.
^"Slow is smooth and smooth is fast"

Old 08-31-2013, 02:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JedV View Post
I finally gave the stacked grip a try this morning and was happy with the increased accuracy I experienced. Gonna try more throws with it very soon.

Thanks for the tip.
I switched my mid grip at the start of this season and it helped me a ton.

I figured if a mid shot is between a drive and a putt why shouldn't my grip reflect that? I went to a grip that has my index and middle finger fanned like I'm putting and my ring and pinkie finger on the rim like a power grip. It might not work for everyone but, worked wonders for my game.