Disc Golf Store
Old 10-09-2012, 05:37 PM
Par Member

Years Playing: 2.6
Courses Played: 7
Throwing Style: RHBH
Send a message via Skype™ to Notrepidation
Seriously SW, best post ever man. A LOT of things "clicked" in my head with that last response. Probably the correlation to baseball. Yes, it is EXTREMELY difficult to translate the right handed pitching technique I have used for years into the RHBH DG throw. In my opinion it hinders my DG game way more than helping it. Would almost prefer I never played baseball. I certainly feel I am not releasing my hips correctly and on time....I just can't figure out how to "fix" it. Throwing from the left pec or right pec or even pivoting around the disc I think is going to be the way to go. I actually can't wait to get out and see how it works. It does make a ton of sense though as when I watch the slow motion of my drives I can see myself collapsing the disc against my chest...it just never occured to me that by doing so I am loosing any power I had generated up to that point.

By developing an x step and form where I either pivot around the disc or throw from my left pec or just behind it, (JTacoma touched on this being the way for a bigger guy like myself to go as well) I can still generate very good power and distance, yes? Just want to make sure this is a viable and long term option for me before I make such a drastic change.

I actually have played with a local pro and saw his form starts from his left pec....no reach back at all....I always wondered about it....just thought....he has no reach back at all.....but the dude can bomb it.

As always, thanks so much for the help.
Old 10-09-2012, 06:28 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 8.1
Courses Played: 106
Lol, I figured that pitching drill would help you since the ball golf ones don't seem to. Really all sports are similar IMO. I still don't have the best weight transfer BH and still is something I work on, but it is night and day from when I first started learning BH. The front foot needs to glide forward more similar to a pitching stride but not nearly as far forward and open in the delivery stance. That is where the ball golf drills are more similar and also hitting a baseball or throwing the baseball bat one-handed.

If you use a no-reachback a la Mike Moser you can still throw far, just not as far as some of the top throwers who use a bigger backswing. Moser tops out around 450' flat ground, but he also has one of the best standstill throws in the game and makes 60' putts look easy. Far is of course relative. You can also add more backswing to that later and work around the disc more.
Old 10-10-2012, 03:36 PM
Par Member

I appreciate it man. I am excited to hit the field and start working. Playing a round with some friends tomorrow. I may start modifying then and then hit the field for the full change after that. Will post as I see results, negative or positive.
Old 10-10-2012, 04:03 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 35.5
Courses Played: 16
Don't over do it, M. You have an Ace Race and mini on Saturday. Pace yourself.
Old 10-11-2012, 12:51 AM
Par Member

Oh good lord!! I've been made!!! Who??
Old 10-11-2012, 01:16 AM
Eagle Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Notrepidation View Post
Oh good lord!! I've been made!!! Who??
Old 11-18-2012, 09:38 PM
Par Member

Just letting y'all know (not you Don!! LOL) .....I am discing down in a big way. My bag is going to consist of 2 Mambas...A Valk, a Leopard, a River, A Meteor, A Comet, a TI Buzz...and a buttload of putters. I plan on throwing almost every shot I play with a putter or mid for a while to be honest. I guess the only reason I left the few low speed drivers in the bag is for those LONG holes....although, I may take them out as well just to be consistent. I refuse to put anything else in my bag until I am consistently throwing my putters over 300 feet and have the ability to shape any and every line I want with them. Yes, I know, this may take a while. To be honest, I should have done this long ago. I feel good about this decision. I think in the long run it will only improve my form, distance and score.
Old 11-18-2012, 10:31 PM
Eagle Member

I knew I should have milked that a little longer.

Don't forget your Saint. Will be a lot more versatile than the River, IMO. Valk, Leo and Saint would be a pretty good setup. Rivers can get pretty squirrelly in the wind..like today. Stretch those 3 out far enough and you could leave the Mamba twins home as well.
Old 11-19-2012, 01:01 AM
Par Member

Leave the Mamba twins at home!!!??? Blasphemy sir!!! I love the Saint .....have an Opto Vision coming in the mail this week too (finally!)....but they both stay out of the bag bro! The River is only there because for me, right now, it's effortless.....although I do agree on the fact that it gets very loose in the wind. To be honest....I shouldn't have any of them in there...just the mid's and the putters. Played a few rounds with James last week and he complimented me on my form but it's not producing the accuracy or distance I want. I NEED to be competative! Just the person I am I guess. Anyway...we still got to get out there bro, I can't believe I STILL have not gotten a round in with you!!

Old 11-19-2012, 08:35 AM
Eagle Member

If you truly want to disc down, the Mamba twins must stay home...blasphemous or not.

We played once at NWV, but that was a while back. That's the trouble with being busy...I never get out like I want. Getting ready for the Fly Ink Open bout killed me. Still have 5 baskets to build and two more coming along with other real work, some of it big. Nope, no days off in the near future for me. One day.....we will make it out there one day.