Old 07-09-2014, 10:05 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 10.4
Courses Played: 171
Throwing Style: RHBH
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidSauls View Post
.....on the other hand, if you want to get a feel for tournament atmosphere, prior to playing in one, show up for for the registration, players meeting, and start of the first round.

A lot more goes on there, that will be brand new to you, perhaps even confusing, than the actual round.

It won't be as fun as following a lead group on Sunday, and you won't see as much good golf, but you will have a better feel for what tournaments are about.
^ That's very good advice... great way to get a feel for what makes a tourney round different than a casual round.
Old 07-09-2014, 10:35 AM
Par Member

Years Playing: 2.4
Courses Played: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by knettles View Post
I know it sounds like you don't have time for this one, but remember that ANYONE can play in tournaments. It may differ a little from area to area, but we've had tournaments with people that have never played the sport before. So definitely keep it in mind for the future. It's a fun time for sure.
Thanks knettles. Although there is no possibility that I can play in this particular event, I do want to get the feel of it and I would definitely play at an event in the future.
Old 07-09-2014, 10:41 AM
Par Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BogeyNoMore View Post
^ That's very good advice... great way to get a feel for what makes a tourney round different than a casual round.
I'm loving the advice and info. While I have only played casual rounds, I do follow the rules strictly. I'm really looking forward to watching some tourney action and seeing the different styles and levels of ability there.
Old 07-09-2014, 10:48 AM
Eagle Member

Courses Played: 60
Quote:
Originally Posted by glassila View Post
Thanks knettles. Although there is no possibility that I can play in this particular event, I do want to get the feel of it and I would definitely play at an event in the future.
First, welcome to DGCR my fellow Michigander.

Second, I would advise you to create a profile on Disc Golf Scene if you have not done so already. It is a great resource for Michigan DG'ers and a nice compliment to DGCR. Almost every single tournament, league, club and event is listed on the site and having a profile allows you to pre-reg for events when and if you decide to play down the road.

DG Tournaments around here are really fun and give you a chance to meet a lot of new people who also share your love for the game. Best of luck!
Old 07-09-2014, 10:54 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 10.4
Courses Played: 171
^FP's absolutley right, DGCR is a great resource, particularly for finding courses and info about them, as well as general DG discsussions on the forum, but DG Scene is the place to find out about what's happening locally and what events are happening... especially in Michigan.

Old 07-09-2014, 07:47 PM
Par Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Future_Primitive View Post
First, welcome to DGCR my fellow Michigander.

Second, I would advise you to create a profile on Disc Golf Scene if you have not done so already. It is a great resource for Michigan DG'ers and a nice compliment to DGCR. Almost every single tournament, league, club and event is listed on the site and having a profile allows you to pre-reg for events when and if you decide to play down the road.

DG Tournaments around here are really fun and give you a chance to meet a lot of new people who also share your love for the game. Best of luck!
I just joined Disc Golf Scene this week. Yeah, it looks like a cool site. I'll have to explore it a bit.