Old 06-18-2014, 12:40 AM
Bogey Member

Years Playing: 16.2
Courses Played: 58
We have 2 such courses in central Maine. We have a vintage '76 Ed Headrick design, Beaver Brook in Monmouth. Played here once. I would call it quirky. At 3260', a lid is a more appropriate utensil for this course.

Also, there's Burnsboro DGC which is not a super old course but certainly has that feel. With homemade baskets that mimic the 1st DGAs and undersized, somewhat crumbling cement boxes, this well worn course could easily pass for 30 yrs old. That being said, the generous fairways here are really fun to play and inspire designing minds.
Old 06-18-2014, 01:45 AM
* Ace Member *

Courses Played: 73
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cgkdisc View Post
Acorn getting an overhaul over the next few years.
its due
Old 06-18-2014, 07:35 AM
Thanks, Dad

Years Playing: 6.4
Courses Played: 80
Throwing Style: RHBH
AM I really the first person to say flip city? Established in 1980

I would say this is what every other course on this list should strive to be
Old 06-18-2014, 08:19 AM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 16.5
Courses Played: 56
Toronto Islands was established in 1980 and still exists today; it's gone through a number of redesigns and equipment upgrades, and is still considered by many to be the finest course in Canada. It's the venue for the Toronto Island Maple Leaf A-Tier in the fall, which has become a favorite quiet stop, a well kept secret if you will, of a number of touring pros.

Centennial Park was also established in 1980; at the same time Toronto Islands was, donated to the City of Toronto by Orange Crush. Centennial Park is in rough shape. It's overrun with other park users, has poor signage and has taken a back seat to a large number of new "better" courses in the City. The nostalgia is still there as the original baskets are still in use. This course will be getting a complete re-design, involving moving the entire course, in the near future as the entire City Park is being redesigned.

These were the only 2 courses in the Toronto area for almost 20 years!
Old 06-21-2014, 07:08 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 2.1
Courses Played: 66
I personally prefer "newer style" par 4-focused courses, for a variety of reasons, but Knob Hill is an old school style par 3er that's one of my favorites. Launched in 1994, so not as old as many out there, but it plays old school. All about precision placement and risk management, as there are a lot of chances for things to go wrong, but if you play it smart you can score very well. One of the best balances of fair and tough I've ever played. Lots of tough pars, especially when a hole's in C pin. Great elevation and mixed levels of woodedness.

Knob Hill is overlooked a bit these days because of the awesome Deer Lakes and Moraine, but I think it stands with the best in western PA and offers something unique in the region. If you're ever in the area, definitely make it a priority. Knob Hill + Moraine is a day of a disc golf beauty.

Old 06-22-2014, 10:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indiana574 View Post
Madeline Bertrand 1985 it's a short course but man I love it
I like that course a lot as well. I'm playing in the doubles tourney there in July.