Old 04-18-2014, 03:42 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 7.1
Courses Played: 12
Throwing Style: RHBH
I can throw max weight but choose not to. I don't really like my drivers to be over 171. I prefer my fairways in the 171-173 range and my mids and putters to be the heavy ones at 175 +. Most of my drivers are 169-171. I play with a lot of guys who always tell me my discs are too light for them but they can't throw max weight, they just don't want to step down to lighter weights because it's not the 'manly' thing to do.
Old 05-12-2014, 10:23 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 1.3
Been throwing my putters and mids more this winter/spring. I now get the cleaning up your form thing. Learning to throw my comet and summit has translated to better drives. Still throwing under stable , light weight, newb stuff . Not a bunch farther, but more predictably with more distance on average. I don't have to put as much effort into my max d, and can stretch a shot a little without wrist rolling everything into a crash and burn turnover. Throwing a lot of 150 dx "flippy" stuff. I am reaching previously un reachable baskets and seeing a few more birdie opps with 150 archangel and 150 Leo. Both are fresh, but still say putter and mids have improved my form . I recently watched a mcbeth and k$ video of the pros hucking some dx. Paul tossed his gazelle (speed 6) about 450. K$ was throwing his stingray 350 ish . Paul was loving his cobra that looked similar to a roc 3 flight path. All discs are slow and some considered under stable . If these Guys can rip a sting ray and cobra 350+ With out turning em over, why can't you? I may have to start cycling stingrays and learn how to generate twice as much speed and spin cleanly.........and then....no and then.
Old 05-20-2014, 03:56 AM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 16.2
Courses Played: 30
Throwing Style: LHBH
I've heard people say they'd never throw something very light. I think even the biggest of arms should have *something* 130-140 in their bag just as a utility at the very least. If you can't get any room to perform your throw, or when you just *know* you'll smack your hand on that nearby tree, use that ultra light disc. You won't need any room to get a normal flight path for decent distance.
Old 05-20-2014, 07:29 AM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 13.3
Courses Played: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by banknwank View Post
If you have spent any time on these forums , you've heard it. Disc down......throw your mids......... Don't fight it, because it's true for most of us. Lighter, slower, and more under stable suits most of more than most discs over speed nine. My average arm mixed with high altitude only magnifies this.

So, I admit that I still bag a 150 Leo, just purchased a 150 archangel and a 150 sidewinder...... Flat, down wind and uphill I am going to get = or better distance than any of big boy stuff 90% of the time.
I recently started playing skins matches with some guys I met on the course and they are a step or two better than me. (Motivates me). The alpha in the group usually gets paid and out drives every one most of the time. He was checking out my bad ass 150 archangel and made the comment about how it's a great gchild's disc...... We through our drives on a 370ish hole and he out did me be 10-20 ft as usual with something in the speed 11ish. He is decent player and finishes under par most of the time. Even though he is consistent and throws a little better overall, he has to anny flex the faster stuff and could prob make use of some slightly slower stuff on hyzer flip to level release. He went 20-30 ft to the right and I found middle fairway. I made 35 footer, he didn't. Had to remind him of my driver for children. So don't be afraid to throw light weight, uber flippy children's drivers.
So what happened on the other 17 holes?
Old 05-21-2014, 07:37 PM

Years Playing: 15.3
Courses Played: 18
I throw max weight for only one reason, consistency over time. I have, however, phased out nearly all my high speed drivers in favor of 7-10 speed stuff, beat in Star Destroyer and Wraith the only exceptions. The lone 166 Star Orc is by far my longest driver, and the only one I've ever broken 400 with. I still find it to be less consistent directionally than the heavy stuff. Blizzard Boss is a blast to rip in the field, but I'd never throw it in a round.
Old 05-21-2014, 09:12 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 1.3
Quote:
Originally Posted by burdphil View Post
So what happened on the other 17 holes?
He wins. He's better in all aspects of the game......the point being , most of us don't Need max speed , max weight stuff.

Old 05-21-2014, 10:47 PM
Par Member

Courses Played: 7
I stopped useing my 170 gram eagle an now use a 150 gram one I've noticed a dramatic diffrence more distance an hardly at all fades to the left I get much more spin on it to