Disc Golf Store
Old 05-23-2007, 11:32 PM
*Administrator*

Years Playing: 12.3
Courses Played: 240
Throwing Style: RHBH
Cameron Yards and other unique courses

I just read the description for Cameron Yards. That sounds like a really odd/unique course, 3 baskets and 18 tees. I'd imagine when you have a bunch of people going for the same basket it might get a little crowdy

Old 05-24-2007, 12:33 AM

Courses Played: 2
cam yards...

not that bad all shooting @ the same basket... we have a weekly tourney @ night and have had over 20 people out on the course... usually we play gang golf with groups of 7 and it works its way out.
Old 05-24-2007, 08:42 AM
*Administrator*

Years Playing: 12.3
Courses Played: 240
Throwing Style: RHBH
Sounds like fun. It definitely looks nice from the pics.
Old 07-04-2007, 08:44 AM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 35.3
Courses Played: 303
Cam Yards reconsidered

Stack,

With all respect, I'd like to give a different viewpoint. Cam Yards scores high marks for creativity and uniqueness. But I'd never rate it a 5 on that basis alone. There are limitations to only having 3 baskets in a very small park. I'm very hesitant to say negative things about a course in a public forum like this, so I'll leave it there for now, but I do think you should reconsider your rating.

Lowe
Garner, NC
Old 07-04-2007, 10:26 AM

Courses Played: 16
^ Wow. That is ridiculous. It must be the only course you have ever played, because a 5 rating should be reserved for world-class courses. Maybe the park deserves a five rating, but an 18 tee course with 3 baskets? Sounds like a 1 or 2 to me. Glad I read this rather than the one review before checking it out and wasting my time.
Old 08-06-2007, 02:41 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 20.3
Courses Played: 366
Throwing Style: LHBH
As the designer of the course, and a neighborhood resident with Stack, I'll chime in. I have played over 120 courses and Cam Yards gets a B+ on my list. If you take each hole on its own merit, it is a very worthy course. The SSA is around 47-48.....harder than 3 out of 4 courses used in 2007 Am Worlds. If you have one day to play DG in Charlotte, I would recommend all 5 of the 18 hole courses here before Cam Yards......but come play it at night under the lights when it gets dark at the end of your day!

It is in a multi-use park and other users have priority (due to safety). There are a ton of elements that would never make it in a public park for safety and "flow" reasons. It is also probably not a lot of fun the first time you play since the "flow" is so different than what we are conditioned to expect in courses....and the layout is very confusing without a map.

That said, it is a design approach to getting a course in a small area that is way cool! It also has some obstacles (fences mainly) that make several of the approaches to the basket different in anything I have seen in all courses I have played. It has gotten many, many youngsters playing DG that may have never had he chance to hear of DG. That is huge for the health and growth of our sport. There needs to be a lot more of this sort of course to aid a growth explosion in DG.

It has some obstacles (fences mainly) that make several of the approaches to the baskets different in anything I have seen in all courses I have played. It is also better than the majority of courses out there....and I say that without being overly biased.

Old 07-17-2014, 11:41 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 35.3
Courses Played: 303
More history-- DGCR thread #2. Stack was the guy who I first heard about DGCR from.