Old 06-03-2014, 04:39 PM
Par Member

Years Playing: 1.4
Courses Played: 10
do all NT events at least follow the recommended specs?
Sponsored Links
Old 06-03-2014, 05:33 PM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 18.8
Courses Played: 169
Throwing Style: RHBH
Quote:
Originally Posted by dukesilver View Post
do all NT events at least follow the recommended specs?
No they don't. (can't answer just no as it's too short of a post to submit)
Old 06-03-2014, 06:54 PM
Par Member

Courses Played: 142
I disagree with your point about them losing half their events. Our own home courses are always making improvements and would likely upgrade our existing courses due to club members wanting to have sanctioned rounds. I get what you are saying about the PDGA not being able to "make" anyone do anything, but I think you are slightly exagerating their ineptitude. The PDGA needs to provide the guidelines then individuals and clubs will make things happen at a local level. The sport is growing as HB can attest to himself. New courses continue to go in across the country on a near daily basis. All I'm suggesting is that we find a way to define specific characteristics for the disc launch point area the same way we have with the discs themselves, and where they eventually come to rest.
Old 06-03-2014, 07:45 PM
*Super Moderator*

Years Playing: 12.8
Courses Played: 817
It's not about ineptitude, it's about you wanting them to take on something totally outside their control. The guidelines I posted are significantly lower than what you want and have been around a while, they haven't changed anything. If there isn't money for better tees, your plan means no course or no sanctioned events. The PDGA has no power over the people that install courses. A large portion are put in by public employees who may not have even heard of the PDGA.

It's great you have a local club that raises money and makes improvements. That said, if those improvements were "mandated" by the PDGA, every one of the clubs I've been involved with would be really upset that some national organization who didn't provide any money or help in the installation process was now coming in and telling them how to prioritize their money and effort.
Old 06-03-2014, 08:03 PM
Par Member

Courses Played: 142
Then a grass roots crapshoot it is. Bring on the carpet, rubber pads, crush-n-run, and woodchips...

All I keep thinking of is how rediculous football would look if some fields were X wide and others were only X-10 long. Thanks for the discussion.
Old 06-03-2014, 08:09 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 26.6
Courses Played: 740
Not that it adds much to the discussion; but both pool tables and outdoor basketball courts are different sizes. Recreational football; played by average Joe; is also played anywhere there is some grass...
Tees are certainly getting much better, in general, these days; and many courses have upgraded at this point; as well. This is becoming less and less an issue.
As far as the levelness of tees and that being a potential designer's/design feature choice; I'll just leave that alone...

Last edited by tallpaul; 06-03-2014 at 08:13 PM.

Old 06-03-2014, 08:11 PM
*Super Moderator*

Years Playing: 12.8
Courses Played: 817
I hope that didn't come across as me disagreeing that it would be great to have nice tees on every course. I advocate for putting money into improvements on tees and signage all the time, and as a fairly tall person I definitely appreciate a nice large flat pad. I just think we need to be realistic about what a tiny organization like the PDGA is going to be effective at and not expect them to waste money on something that they're pretty much guaranteed to fail at.

Side note, baseball fields and soccer fields aren't standard shapes or sizes, they fall within a general range, and I haven't seen too many arguments that's what holds them back. Golf tees are all pretty flat, but they're varying sizes and materials even with the vastly greater money and multiple sanctioning bodies involved in the game. I found this article, the beginning of it lays out a pretty good explanation of why one of golf's sanctioning bodies has declined to do exactly what you're wanting the PDGA to do.