Old 02-20-2015, 02:43 PM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 8.9
Courses Played: 118
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seabrook View Post
If your city/group are truly serious about a Worlds/Major bid you should have been planning it for at least a year or two. Pittsburg have been working on a worlds bid since 2004, they looked at what they had for courses and what was needed. Then put their first Worlds bid in 2012. Took them 3 years to get it. Even the Aussie Open had been working with the PDGA for almost two years.

Networking, planning, getting all the requirements takes a lot of time. Its not just filling out a couple of forms and writing a nice letter the PDGA.
I filled out the paperwork anyway....been working on it since this morning!

Now just need to renew my PDGA membership, find some courses and a couple dozen volunteers.

<-- fingers crossed!!
Sponsored Links
Old 02-20-2015, 03:34 PM

Years Playing: 19.7
Courses Played: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheOtherBill View Post
I filled out the paperwork anyway....been working on it since this morning!

Now just need to renew my PDGA membership, find some courses and a couple dozen volunteers.

<-- fingers crossed!!
Sounds like it will be a quality bid!
Old 02-20-2015, 11:37 PM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 14.7
Courses Played: 111
Throwing Style: LHBH
Much ado about nothing. They may have defined the roles of the PDGA and host a little more clearly, and they require the "True Amateur" model. Unless I'm missing something though, the core requirements, schedule, structure, etc. are the same as before. One Am and Junior Worlds, one Pro Worlds. With how long it took, I thought they would be making major changes. Oh well.
Old 02-21-2015, 06:55 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 19.8
Courses Played: 117
Perhaps they were debating major changes, and it took this long to reach an agreement---on not making them.
Old 02-21-2015, 07:50 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 17.2
Courses Played: 120
Throwing Style: LHBH
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidSauls View Post
Perhaps they were debating major changes, and it took this long to reach an agreement---on not making them.
Bingo.

My take is they quite simply ran out of time. They're already months behind as compared to previous years. At this stage, inserting major changes to the way they bid out and run Worlds for 2016 would be disastrous to the quality of the 2016 Worlds. They probably, and wisely, tabled the huge decisions since consensus couldn't be reached, and went with the status quo for the most part just to get the process rolling before it's too late.

I hope the debate is already started on any potential changes to the 2017 bid requirements/guidelines. And if they make changes, they absolutely have to get those documents out far sooner than they did these. If there are indeed "major" changes to be made, the longer they give potential hosts to modify existing plans or create new bids to meet the changes, the smoother any transition to the new model will go.

Old 02-21-2015, 08:36 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 19.8
Courses Played: 117
Just speculation, of course.

The issue with major Major changes is that they not only have to decide on the big picture---i.e.; going from an inclusive convention-style Pro Worlds to an exclusive, limited admission, Open-only Pro Worlds and moving the rest to another event---but a hundred details that would be involved, for the PDGA and the hosts. For all we know they could have decided to make big changes but unable to work out and agree on the small changes.

Then again, they could have been sitting on their hands all this time.

It looks like a late rush, for the hosts to prepare or finalize their bids, for the PDGA to review them, and for everyone to make plans. Moreso if no one puts in an acceptable bid for Pro Worlds. Let's hope a lot of folks have been working towards their bids under the assumption that little would change, and the PDGA has been working on Plan B, just in case.