Old 03-25-2013, 06:29 PM
Sophomore

Years Playing: 4.8
Courses Played: 56
Throwing Style: RHBH
Could be that you're not accelerating and the disc isn't getting enough momentum to eject.
Sponsored Links
Old 03-26-2013, 04:01 PM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 9.8
Courses Played: 108
Quote:
Originally Posted by GLong View Post
jump putting at 35' is waaaaaaaaaay too close. you should need only a minimal weight shift to get the needed power at that distance.

watch this:
I agree completely: you don't need it at that distance. However I disagree with the sentiment that it is way too close. I'm perfectly comfortable with a standstill putt out to 50-60 feet, but at 35 I feel like I'm practically setting the disc in the basket when I jump. Just that little added weight shift allows my arm control to be a touch more precise and careful. I feel like any additional use of my legs (which are strong and consistent muscles) and less use of my arms below the shoulders (which are comparatively weaker and less consistent) is a good thing.
Old 03-26-2013, 04:04 PM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 9.8
Courses Played: 108
If you're looking to learn to jump putt here is my advice: start short. When you're practicing in a field you don't need to worry about the "rules" of the game as much. What I mean by this is: you don't need to give a crap whether or not you're outside of the 10M circle. If you intend to do a dedicated jump putting session start out at 20 feet. If you start practicing at 45 or even 35 feet and using improper form as a result of working outside of your range, developing bad habits - you'll never be any good at it.

Start short at 20 feet with proper form, good balance, and consistent motions. Over the course of a month or two slowly work your way out. Once you're feeling good about it from outside of the circle, incorporate that into your game. Don't incorporate 45 footers into your game if you're only comfortable in practice out to 35. Work up to it. Take your time. Like everything else you do physically you have to know to start small and easy, if you try to leapfrog any step in your learning progression you will do more harm than good.
Old 03-27-2013, 02:31 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 3
Courses Played: 47
I think that the best thing about a jump putt is the fact that if I don't make it.... I am probably sitting within 10 feet of the basket.

Old 03-29-2013, 02:16 PM
Bogey Member

Years Playing: 22.7
Courses Played: 5
I'd say concentrating on the point of release is most important when jump putting. Your arm is moving at a faster rate due to the momentum shift from the jump (and greater distance) than a normal putt. Thus your spin or snap must AT LEAST match the amount of your arm speed. Similar to a sidearm. A lot of people have wobbly releases because they're trying to throw the disc to hard before they've learned to impart enough spin to handle the increased disc speed.

Make sure your grip is comfortable and concentrate on the "hit". That's where the disc is coming out of the hand and spin is applied. Once you get a good release down you'll find the distance will follow without wobbles.