Old 12-23-2013, 01:11 AM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 12.5
Courses Played: 51
Throwing Style: RHFH
td sponsorship??

First, I only td fund raising events for a course. I'm not one of the guys who is making a living trying to run tournaments here and there. There is so much work involved and I don't have that much time, but these are the guys I'm talking about.

With players being sponsored in the past to push products, and now with the evolution of a team concept like the trilogy and with prodigy's appearing to follow suite, which is another smart way to help push a product. Do you think companies will start trying to sponsors td in the future? I don't know if it's PDGA legal to do so, but let's say these guys who run b tiers and c through out an area are offered a even better discount for only using said "disc company". This then increases the exposure of the brand, while increasing revenue for said Td.

Secondly if this happens how much pull would this have. If td a only uses innova and td b uses dd, and td c only has prodigy. Will you play the closest one? The one sponsored by a brand, or the td with the best history.
Old 12-23-2013, 01:16 AM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 12.5
Courses Played: 51
Throwing Style: RHFH
And for tds, if legal, if company "a" offered a contract saying you would get a bonus for promoting their disc, would you do it

Old 12-23-2013, 07:47 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 19.3
Courses Played: 115
Some thoughts from a TD and Am player perspective:

The major disc manufacturers are already giving TDs wholesale prices on discs, and sometimes bonus stuff in the TD shipment, effectively sponsoring events by allowing TDs to use the wholesale/retail differential. I doubt it would be in their interest to sweeten that pot.

So that leaves it to new manufacturers. You have to wonder how much more discount or payment they'd have to give a TD to tempt him to go exclusive, and whether that would be worth it to them.

As a player, I've been to a lot of events that were exclusively one manufacturer, Innova or Discraft. I've been to a few that were exclusively a minor manufacturer. It's not a big deal to me, but does diminish the event a little bit if the payouts and players packs are discs I don't want. But only a little bit, because I'm not playing for the payout.

Back to the TD, to go exclusively with one minor manufacturer, you'd have to think not only of the sponsorship, but whether enough players would be disheartened by it to affect the overall event.