Disc Golf Store
Old 04-28-2014, 10:14 AM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 3.2
Courses Played: 26
Throwing Style: RHBH
so i say it does not happen very often. I just had it happen last week. got within 25 feet of the basket on hole 16 at Osage which just happens to be the only hole that has major wind. first putt hit the basket and kicked left about 25 feet out. next putt was early left hit chains and went 20 feet behind and third putt in. Went from a 4 to a 6 on the hole. also i was +1 on the course at that time which is amazing and went to a +4 right there. finished a +3 which is a darn good round. like 980 rated.
Old 04-28-2014, 10:17 AM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 0.4
Courses Played: 20
So this has gotten me thinking that in reality I have been laying up in places I should be running the basket. I know that the choice should be fairly simple - if the chance of hitting the shot from where I stand is greater than the chance of me missing the come back shot - I SHOULD run it...but I often don't. A big part of that is mental and I think it is because even if I ran 3 baskets from my fringe area...sank 1, hit the comeback on 1, and 3 putted the other....my mind is thinking I had 1 great shot, 1 save I shouldn't have needed....and 2 bad shots which stick out more the next time I step up to putt. Had I just layed up for all 3 even though the score ends the same I have hit my last 3 putts (even though drop ins) and can use that to build confidence.

So here is the question - at what range do you typically decide to lay up instead of running the basket? For the sake of argument, we'll assume no mitigating circumstances such as crazy wind, a hill, OB behind pin, 1 stroke down in tourney, etc. Just a "normal" green and you staring at a shot where you are on the fence if you should lay up instead of making a run.
Old 04-28-2014, 10:27 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 34.4
Courses Played: 81
Send a message via Yahoo to Jay Dub
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timeetyo View Post
So this has gotten me thinking that in reality I have been laying up in places I should be running the basket. I know that the choice should be fairly simple - if the chance of hitting the shot from where I stand is greater than the chance of me missing the come back shot - I SHOULD run it...but I often don't. A big part of that is mental and I think it is because even if I ran 3 baskets from my fringe area...sank 1, hit the comeback on 1, and 3 putted the other....my mind is thinking I had 1 great shot, 1 save I shouldn't have needed....and 2 bad shots which stick out more the next time I step up to putt. Had I just layed up for all 3 even though the score ends the same I have hit my last 3 putts (even though drop ins) and can use that to build confidence.

So here is the question - at what range do you typically decide to lay up instead of running the basket? For the sake of argument, we'll assume no mitigating circumstances such as crazy wind, a hill, OB behind pin, 1 stroke down in tourney, etc. Just a "normal" green and you staring at a shot where you are on the fence if you should lay up instead of making a run.
I am very confident in my 20' putt which means I have a 40' diameter area to hit on my previous shot.
I can do that all day so I'm always going for it and rarely 3-putt.
Old 04-28-2014, 11:03 AM
Par Member

Years Playing: 4.2
Courses Played: 41
Depends on how aggressive I'm playing. If I go all out and try to make really long putts with higher percentage lines, then I end up three putting at least once a round.

If I take a more conservative, and lower percentage line on the long putts, then I three put much much less, but I also never make that first long putt.
Old 04-28-2014, 12:31 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 5.2
Courses Played: 19
According to Wayne Gretzky, you miss 100% of the shots you don't take.
Old 04-28-2014, 04:54 PM
Par Member

Years Playing: 3.7
Courses Played: 24
Throwing Style: LHBH
Typically the only time I 3 putt is on a roll away. My putting style is a shallow arc that has the disc moving downwards when it's going into the basket. With that style putt I'm left with a 10-15' comeback putt and I'm 100% confident out to 20' with my putts.

From what I've seen the type of putters who 3 putt the most are the ones that try to fire the disc into the chains which IMO is the worst way to putt. It's like trying to fire a ball into the sweet spot on a basketball backboard.
Old 04-30-2014, 09:55 PM
Double Eagle Member

Courses Played: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohtobediscing View Post
Slang for bogie. "Boug" is its phonetic pronunciation; you wouldn't pronounce it "bog".
haha yeah thanks, Boge? nah, BOWg? Bogie........**** it! mark it zero!

Old 04-30-2014, 09:57 PM
Resident Grouch

Years Playing: 11.2
Courses Played: 315
Had one at league tonight. Not sure what I was thinking putting sunblock on right before throwing.