Old 06-29-2015, 04:31 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 12.5
Courses Played: 53
Throwing Style: RHBH
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hampstead View Post
Interesting. You quote a comment I made over a year ago and try to be clever by pronouncing it a "fail". Funny thing is, that comment was made based on some inside information directly from Discraft, so perhaps your cleverness, or lack thereof, is the real "fail" here.

I'm sorry, I was just haveing a little fun with it. I know Discraft is producing Zlite, but I've yet to see anyone in Japan use a single one of their discs. It would be much more clever if they (Discraft) made Zlite discs that people actually want to throw, mids specially. How are you going to come out with a new line of plastic without releasing it in your best and most popular molds, assuming Asia is actually the focus? Around here, Hero/Innova/Discmania have astrangle hold on the market. They are the only brand(s) that venders (JPDGA) are selling at most events.
Sponsored Links
Old 06-29-2015, 04:44 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 10.9
Courses Played: 50
Is Japan the only country that composes Asia? It may be the one with the longest disc history but is kinda an island when it comes to all things "asian"

I am not claiming discraft is selling much in Asia, just playing devils advocate a little.
Old 06-29-2015, 06:11 PM
Double Eagle Member

The Dosses did go to Omsk, Russia to promote disc golf, so who knows. Discraft holds a lone ace race in South Korea, but I'm not really sure if requires a lot of focus. If they're not in South Korea and they still suck at promoting their light weight brand, what are they doing in Asia?

People are just starting to realize that Innova isn't the only choice for lightweight plastic over here. Trilogy, MVP, and Vibram are all klling it here despite Innova's dominance. I guess what I'm trying to say is that I don't think Discraft is focused on Asia.
Old 06-29-2015, 06:12 PM
Salient/Yikun Groupie

Years Playing: 3.7
Courses Played: 39
Throwing Style: RHFH
It seems as if Yikun could easily make an impact in Japan if they could make 150 class. Do you ever see their discs?
Old 06-29-2015, 06:20 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 25.4
Courses Played: 60
Throwing Style: RHFH
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Butlertron View Post
The Dosses did go to Omsk, Russia to promote disc golf, so who knows. Discraft holds a lone ace race in South Korea, but I'm not really sure if requires a lot of focus. If they're not in South Korea and they still suck at promoting their light weight brand, what are they doing in Asia?

People are just starting to realize that Innova isn't the only choice for lightweight plastic over here. Trilogy, MVP, and Vibram are all klling it here despite Innova's dominance. I guess what I'm trying to say is that I don't think Discraft is focused on Asia.

All I can really say to elaborate on my initial comment is that I was at the local shop and the guy was saying that they were having a hard time getting Magnets and soft Magnets from Discraft. He said that Discraft had recently expanded into the Asian market and that they were back ordered on a lot of popular molds. The owner knows Jim Kenner pretty well, so I doubt that he would just make that up.

You are focusing on the 150 class, but that wasn't what I was referring to. And yes, I am aware of the Japanese weight requirements.
Old 06-29-2015, 06:24 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 10.1
Courses Played: 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by grotto View Post
Oh well, I guess I'm in the "I hate the rim tooling" minority then. Will have to keep my eye out for Predators without it and stock up.
I have an irrational hatred of the rim tooling. I can't stand it and I won't throw Disccraft because of it.
Old 06-29-2015, 06:27 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 10.9
Courses Played: 50
Do other Asian countries have national weight requirements as well? or is there something else that makes lightweight plastic more desirable?
Old 06-29-2015, 07:14 PM
Double Eagle Member

I think age has something to do with it. There are more old people in Japan that wear diapers than babies. There are also much more old players than young players, just check the event results on the PDGA website. They treat dg more as a retirement sport than anything else, like crochet, horseshoes, or cornhole. Taiwan, Japan, and South Korea are main ones. I know the President of the KPDGA (South Korea) he said the other two were pressuring him to join the dark side when he started up, he said no way Jose.

Old 06-29-2015, 07:45 PM
Double Eagle Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hampstead View Post
All I can really say to elaborate on my initial comment is that I was at the local shop and the guy was saying that they were having a hard time getting Magnets and soft Magnets from Discraft. He said that Discraft had recently expanded into the Asian market and that they were back ordered on a lot of popular molds. The owner knows Jim Kenner pretty well, so I doubt that he would just make that up.

You are focusing on the 150 class, but that wasn't what I was referring to. And yes, I am aware of the Japanese weight requirements.
I'm focusing 150 open class because that is most of Asia. As far as I know, South Korea is the only disc golf association that promotes "heavy" weights in Asia. I could be wrong though.

A few years ago the South Korean disc golf scene split into two factions, the KDF (Korean Disc Fderation)and the KPDGA (Korean Disc Golf Association). Both (if the KDF is even around anymore) heavily rely on Government subsidies where money ebbs and flows in for school gym classes and other children's events.

There needs to be playable courses before that would make them any money though, otherwise one gym class bulk purchase with last a long time. The KDF actually makes their own baskets and discs that are cheap knock offs of Innova discs and baskets, count them out.

I'm sure if I ask around I'll find out.