Old 03-09-2013, 11:23 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 14.7
Courses Played: 189
Throwing Style: RHBH
Not sure how much you are into it, but its kind of hard to give an honest suggestion without seeing how you throw. I completely understand that you are new to the game, but that is the perfect time to learn how to throw properly. Typically when people first start playing the game they develop bad habits (that can definitely work out ok for them sometimes) that are very hard to unlearn in the future. When you are new......you haven't developed bad muscle memory yet so its much easier to catch on faster.

Try finding a local pro or somebody in your area that gives lessons, or try learning on your own (lots of great instuctional videos out there), or post a video up in the "form critique" threads and get advice from people on there.

If you are getting a valk out to 320, that is definitely impressive for a newer player, but if thats where you are maxing out, I would strongly suggest staying away from anything faster than that (and to be honest the valk is still a bit too fast for you). I would stick to your teebird/maybe a leopard/mids and putters for a while. Just my two cents.....good luck!
Sponsored Links
Old 03-09-2013, 11:44 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 2.2
Courses Played: 31
Thanks BR, we are more or less on the same page I think. I am quite content to hang out at around speed 7 or so for the bulk of my driving, and stay on the understable side so as not to hide any OAT that might be creeping in. I was just a little surprised at the "jump" or "spurt" in arm speed that happened around a month ago. Other than brief forays into distance for the sake of curiosity, my main focus is to back off the power in order to concentrate on consistent form.

In my midrange discs my X Buzzz and X Comet keep me honest and tell on me if my form isn't smooth. I'm working on shaping shots as much as I can with these. Still hit and miss, but I'm getting there. There is a local here who runs a disc shop that I'm trying to get together with for a critique. Thanks for your suggestions.

Curtis

Old 03-10-2013, 11:53 AM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 2.2
Courses Played: 31
P.S. Forgot to mention that my Valkyrie is only 150 grams so it's not as unsuitable as a heavier version would be.

Thanks again,
Curtis