Old 04-22-2014, 12:44 AM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 2.6
Courses Played: 18
Throwing Style: RHBH
Throw like your disc weighs 10 pounds.

I've been steadily improving my backhand drive. After a recent clinic with Avery Jenkins and Simon Lizotte I've correctly a lot of things about my form. One of the big ones is facing more at the target on release.

I've been trying to get my timing down with the additional motion. I use to release the disc with my shoulders still in line with the target and I could never get a full follow though.

I've been trying to figure out how to get my core more involved and I hit upon it today. This might be obvious to a lot of players but it wasn't to me.

I throw my disc like it weighs 10lbs. With a weight that heavy it's impossible to strong arm it. You have to use your hips and core. Imagine throwing a shovel full of heavy dirt 30 feet through the air.

My average drive is about 315-330. I'll hit 350 on a really good rip. I've hit 370 a few times. Today I threw a 168 Star Wraith about 410. I griplocked it pretty good but I could feel where the power was. I started trying to tune it in and I threw 5 shots in a row about 350 with a Volt, Wraith, and Tesla.

On my reach back I do not pull forward at all until the hell of my plant foot is all the way down and my leg is completely braced. I then feel my body/core get really heavy. It's the same feeling you get right before you pick up something heavy. My core is almost tensing but not flexing. I'm still really relaxed and thinking light, quick thoughts. When my plant leg is braced I turn my whole core. Hips, torso shoulders. Keep the disc close like a normal drive. You can easily feel when to explode. Bye, bye disc.
Sponsored Links
Old 04-23-2014, 12:37 PM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 1.6
Courses Played: 49
This is a great description and accurately describes the 'feel' and technique of a good drive, at least from my experience.

I'm fully convinced at this point that it just takes practice, practice, practice to get it all down, though... developing that rhythm and timing that brings everything together just takes hours and hours of field work unless you're already an experienced athlete.

Overall I'm relatively happy with my drives these days, but I still have my off days or rounds that have me referring back to my notes and going back out to the field to work out the kinks... and I still feel I have room for improvement even on my best drives, but I'm confident that will come just with continued playing and muscle memory...
Old 04-23-2014, 12:52 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 2.6
Courses Played: 18
I completely agree about the practice part. My field work has been paying off. Right now I think the last big piece is pulling my off arm in. It messes up my timing when I try to do it know but I get a lot more torque. I end up throwing giant 320-330 hyzer bombs because bringing that arm in is causing me to dip my back shoulder quite a bit as I rotate.
Old 04-26-2014, 03:00 AM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 5.4
Courses Played: 35
I have been putting my left hand in my pocket during field work. Forces me to keep my arm near my body. Still feels weird though.
Old 04-26-2014, 10:05 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 2.7
Courses Played: 16
Yeah, keeping the off arm close is kind of awkward at first. It's one of the few things I can say got me more distance immediately, though.
Old 04-26-2014, 11:06 AM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 4.3
Courses Played: 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hyzer Ale View Post
I have been putting my left hand in my pocket during field work. Forces me to keep my arm near my body. Still feels weird though.
Doesn't this kind of hinder the off shoulder turn? Doesn't seem to me that I could open up as much before pull thru.

Old 04-26-2014, 12:25 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 2.7
Courses Played: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by DatRedDude View Post
Doesn't this kind of hinder the off shoulder turn? Doesn't seem to me that I could open up as much before pull thru.
i found it helped me.

before, i was just turning my shoulders and not my core. i do it slightly different; i keep my off shoulder and arm completely relaxed at my side the entire time.

i found it helps me emphasize turning the core to turn the shoulder -before i was swinging my arm out to turn the shoulder to turn the core - caused me to lose the chain between my hips and shoulders. now i have no arm swing pulling my upper torso around. really helps me get a good pull because i am moving in a chain from the ground up. before my upper and lower halves were more disconnected.

Last edited by Kodachrome; 04-26-2014 at 12:29 PM.