Old 08-08-2013, 02:56 PM
Par Member

Years Playing: 19.6
Courses Played: 28
Throwing Style: RHBH
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Ensor View Post
^If you have to walk all the way to the drivers, you're walking right over top of you putters, so it's not really much more walking.
That is if you throw them on the line you intended. But grip lock one your putter, wrong release angle on your force, and then they are spread east/west 200+ feet along with north/south 200+. sometimes throwing the same disc but playing with release angle i end up hundreds of feet apart left to right. that is why open field practice is pretty key! great discussion.
Sponsored Links
Old 08-08-2013, 03:01 PM
Par Member

Years Playing: 19.6
Courses Played: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by whentherainscome View Post
In response to the OP: I don't think you can learn THAT much about your discs in a field (except maybe about your go-to open distance driver(s)). You can learn a lot about mechanics, and that should be your focus for field work. If you want to learn about what your discs can do on the course - take 'em on the course. Play 2- or 3- disc rounds with different combos. The limitation will force you to be creative. You'll learn the molds a lot faster when you have real lines to hit than when you're just throwing annies and hyzers at open air.
agree within reason. i have a tunnel shot at a local course that has a low ceiling, woods on one side, and creek on one side. i needed to learn to throw something dead straight with no fade. when i was learning i would throw 4-5 discs on that hole. half would end up in the creek, the other half buried in the woods on the other side. spending 30-45 min retrieving discs was not my idea of fun. but i can recreate that vision of the tunnel on an open field without fear of the creek, poison ivy, thorns, etc. open field work has it's benefits outside of just technique work.
Old 08-08-2013, 03:54 PM
Double Eagle Member

Courses Played: 53
I dunno man, practicing my anhyzers and turnovers hasn't made me any better at this hole:
Old 08-08-2013, 04:11 PM
Sophomore

Years Playing: 4.8
Courses Played: 56
Quote:
Heh, for me it's less about finding them and more about remembering what all I threw in the first place!

In response to the OP: I don't think you can learn THAT much about your discs in a field (except maybe about your go-to open distance driver(s)). You can learn a lot about mechanics, and that should be your focus for field work. If you want to learn about what your discs can do on the course - take 'em on the course. Play 2- or 3- disc rounds with different combos. The limitation will force you to be creative. You'll learn the molds a lot faster when you have real lines to hit than when you're just throwing annies and hyzers at open air.
You just have to limit yourself on the field. Use the goalposts, hashmarks, track, or whatever landmarks are on your field to have guidelines for whether or not you threw an acceptable shot. It takes more discipline. You can't just throw every shot trying to get it in the field; you have to pick 1 line out of the infinite possibilities and not accept "pretty close" as a good shot.
Old 08-08-2013, 04:14 PM
Sophomore

Years Playing: 4.8
Courses Played: 56
Quote:
I dunno man, practicing my anhyzers and turnovers hasn't made me any better at this hole:
Looks like a squall from the northeast portion of the track to the southeast; never letting it get outside the track. (At my field, obviously)
Old 08-11-2013, 09:44 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 6.1
Courses Played: 15
threw anther 400 total throws last two days and i def worked out some of my OAT issues.

I think wizards, magics and comets are awesome for showing just how poorly i was throwing. i'm def developing a better throw. it will hopefully pay off in the course. Now i need to really work in some higher speed stuff like teebirds, firebirds and destroyers.

Old 08-12-2013, 08:01 AM
Chaw Man

Years Playing: 23.6
Courses Played: 41
I like to go do fieldwork with a certain goal in mind...like there's a hole I can't figure out or a shot or what have you. it helps that I have a ridiculous amount of backup discs to throw.

One of the cool things about disc golf practice is, by virtue of it being a solo sport, there's no right or wrong answer. You can adjust your training to suit you...and thanks to forums like this, there's all sorts of info on different drills and things you can do to improve your game.

But, if it were me, I would focus on one thing at a time, roughly. Like, maybe one day work your OS drivers (your firebirds, teebirds and destroyers) and another day your understable drivers (Vulcans, Roadrunners) for example.