Old 02-24-2013, 01:30 PM
Banned From the Trilogy

Years Playing: 11.4
Courses Played: 71
In my opinion, when people refer to the sport being "held back," this is what they mean.

The sport as a whole is growing and developing very fast in terms of participation. In recent years though, the fan following has begun to grow. The pro tour, helped along by social media, has gained quite a following and casual players want to be kept up to date on how the top pros are faring.

The development of the sport has always been focused on getting more players, more tournaments, and a better tournament experience.

The sport (and more specifically, the pro tour) has grown to a point where it's time to really focus some development on the fan experience as well. This includes the experience for fans watching live, as well as those who want to follow the action remotely.

The onus for this does not fall entirely on the PDGA. In fact, I would argue that it falls more on the individual tournaments. Each event has a responsibility to it's sponsors to promote itself as best it can. With better promotion, comes better visibility for the sponsor, which brings more money for the pro purse.

I understand that there are still limitations in budget and personnel. But all it takes is one volunteer to handle social media. Set up a twitter handle and a facebook page to keep fans updated. Set up a thread on DGCR even, these are not time consuming tasks.

Steve Dodge seems to be one of the most forward thinking TDs in this regard. The social media presence of the Vibram Open is a great example of how it can be done. Now it's time for some of the lesser events to follow suit.