Old 05-02-2013, 09:59 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 5.8
Courses Played: 199
That sounds like more of a technique or form flaw. Wind aside, I can throw fairways in the low 160's, mids in the high 160's and other non-max weight discs on anny and hyzer lines just fine. I'm not saying I'm crushing them 500', but they are not flippy. Unless. Big wind shows up. But even then, with the right release angle even light discs can fight wind pretty well.
Old 05-02-2013, 10:01 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 9.2
Courses Played: 82
Throwing Style: RHBH
Quote:
Originally Posted by SSquirrel View Post
I'm discing down and also replacing some of the heavier discs in my bag. My 166 Wolf throws much better for me than a 175 mid when throwing RHBH.
LOL @ Wolf. Which troll are you? Just curious. ;-)
Old 05-03-2013, 12:51 AM
Eagle Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jenb View Post
LOL @ Wolf. Which troll are you? Just curious. ;-)
Not a troll at all, but thanks for asking. Yeah I know there is a big thread of Wolf hate, but I like the disc just fine Besides, I started this thread. Why would I troll my own thread? heh
Old 05-04-2013, 09:48 PM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 1.8
Courses Played: 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by SSquirrel View Post
Not a troll at all, but thanks for asking. Yeah I know there is a big thread of Wolf hate, but I like the disc just fine Besides, I started this thread. Why would I troll my own thread? heh
not sure what jenb's deal is considering she is the only one trolling this thread, but back on your topic... I had my wife play her first game today and she did great with her 150g shark. only issue was the aviar p&a as the rim is too deep for her small hand. gotta find her a new putter, possibly something beaded like an ion

Last edited by Daubers; 05-04-2013 at 09:50 PM.
Old 05-04-2013, 09:56 PM

Years Playing: 16.3
Courses Played: 35
Throwing Style: RHFH
Blizzards

I would start with blizzard plastic they go all the way down to 130g. That is what I give to all new players works very well.
Old 05-04-2013, 11:45 PM
Eagle Member

In the end we went the starter pack option. Discraft 3 pack. Soft Magnet, Buzz and Cyclone in base plastic. Pluto Sports didn't have much in the way of lighter weights so I went with the pack that had 3 discs I know are good

Conveniently my first putter was a Soft Magnet at the same weight so she had 2 to throw. Or practice jotting saw her helping me chuck 7 putters and her 2 other discs at the basket. As an aside I'm loving my Neutron Ion and Eclipse Anode. Plus one each Vibram, Wizard, Neutron and Proton Nano . I had no minis before and hey why not
Old 05-05-2013, 05:42 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 4.1
Courses Played: 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Depth View Post
I'm in the same boat. Trying to get my gf into disc golf. Today I am headed to PIAS and pick up a dx leopard/dx aviar for her to start dominating with.
Just get her a Dominator. Problem solved.
Old 05-06-2013, 06:41 AM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 5.8
Courses Played: 50
Throwing Style: LHBH
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sojah40 View Post
I would start with blizzard plastic they go all the way down to 130g. That is what I give to all new players works very well.
the problem i have with this is that the noobs cant get the high speed drivers up to spin so end result... noob hyzers.
how about a slower light fairway driver. for my wife 150 dx leopards. lots of glide and very forgiving when its underpowered.
for a new male player maybe a 160's leo or same weight xl or something slow. just my 2 cents.

Old 05-06-2013, 08:25 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 10.3
Courses Played: 167
^Robbrews makes an excellent point. Female and Beginner are two different things, and but not necssarily mutually exclusive. Blizzards are all high speed and rather touchy at that. I wouldn't recommend them to novices, regardless of gender, age, whatever.

Leopards are very forgiving, and come in a wide range of weights and make great first drivers that people can use long after they've graduated beyond "novice." Leight weight Leos are great distance discs for inexperienced players, and great turnover/rollers for more powerful throwers. They're a staple of many bags for good reason.

Last edited by BogeyNoMore; 05-06-2013 at 08:27 AM.