Disc Golf Center
Old 06-21-2013, 06:24 PM
Par Member

Years Playing: 22.2
Courses Played: 52
Throwing Style: RHBH
Better form, less distance - Bad form. more distance???

So my form sucked but I was pushing close 400 feet. I then decided If I was going to break 400 constantly I needed to fix my form issues.

Well I tweaked every thing until my formed looked like real golf throw and I lost a bunch of distance, maybe 330 max now. Now if I go back to bad form I can still chunk it out there 350+.

Has anyone else had these learning pains and did You stick with it or fall back to the dark side?
Old 06-21-2013, 06:31 PM
Par Member

It hurts you now but in time you will throw longer than you used to.
Old 06-21-2013, 06:41 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 15.2
Courses Played: 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eemeli137 View Post
It hurts you now but in time you will throw longer than you used to.
With bad form I threw around 350 feet, then I fixed my form. After I fixed my form I was only around 300 feet, but as I practiced throwing more in the field & tryed my hardest from going back to old bad habits I far surpassed my old max distance of 350 feet. Just stick with it & don't fall back into old hindering habits. Also the guys on here in the technique section of the forums (like Sidewinder) can help tweak your form even more. Good luck
Old 06-24-2013, 12:55 PM
Double Eagle Member

Courses Played: 53
I went from 350' with Destroyers to 280 w/everything. A little more than a year out and I'm up to 350' with Teebirds and Leopards on the course. No regrets!
Old 06-24-2013, 02:37 PM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 12.3
Courses Played: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by eday1022 View Post
So my form sucked but I was pushing close 400 feet. I then decided If I was going to break 400 constantly I needed to fix my form issues.

Well I tweaked every thing until my formed looked like real golf throw and I lost a bunch of distance, maybe 330 max now. Now if I go back to bad form I can still chunk it out there 350+.

Has anyone else had these learning pains and did You stick with it or fall back to the dark side?
This is exactly what I have done this year. I was throwing consistently over 400' with a strange grip and some form flaws. I have been correcting those and I throw for maybe 75' less distance now. HOWEVER... I have dropped 2-4 strokes consistently on the 2 courses near me. I have so much more consistency and accuracy now on my drives and approach (still just as bad at putting ) and have been doing a lot better.

For a poor putter like me, being able to land drives and approaches accurately on the intended line makes getting close enough to the basket to chain out in less strokes a lot easier. What does 75' more feet get you without consistency? Nothing. A shorter drive can be made up for with a decent approach.

Also, since my drop in distance, as I have been getting more comfortable the distance is coming back. Slowly, but surely. I am building confidence and muscle memory with my grip and release and I am regaining my ability to put my whole body into a rip.

So, I'd say stick with it! If you are developing a better more repeatable form it is OK to lose some distance. In my experience it starts to come back, but with added accuracy and consistency.
Old 06-24-2013, 03:21 PM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 9.5
Courses Played: 108
Quote:

If what you've changed to truly IS better form - stick with it. Have some pros that you can trust to be analytical and observant look it over and make sure you're not making new mistakes. But if it is really good - the real issue is this: because of the change you're not going to be as fluid.

When you first make a fundamental change like this you're going to be carefully orienting your body and extremities to throw the disc correctly. It makes you very mechanical. Keep in mind that your brain has to send the signal to release the disc, for example, as you're already beginning to pull the disc across your body. If you're still learning new adjustments to your pull through, you're obviously going to have timing issues. You begin to feel "mechanical" or "robotic."

As the throw becomes more natural and you think less about it, the entire motion will become more fluid, balanced, and natural looking/feeling. Once you're fluid and balanced your timing and power will increase naturally. The power will come back, and then some.

Old 06-25-2013, 10:42 AM
* Ace Member *

Courses Played: 2
Quote:

stick with the "good form" but sometime soon you'll have a click of what you were doing to get that distance and you will be able to incorporate it into your throw. I change stuff for weeks at a time just to try it, then go back to how I use to throw and see what elements I can merge together from trying different things.

So it isn't that your old form was bad it is that there is something you can bring from one form or the other to work it all better.