Old 08-18-2014, 10:54 AM
.:Master Course Designer:.

Years Playing: 38.3
Quote:
Originally Posted by heartman View Post
Not sure if you've talked about the Carrollton, GA course on here, Hobbs Farm I believe?

I've seen pics of some of the clearing on facebook. Any thoughts about the land/course/anything?

thanks
Wow -- an easy question for a change. Thanks, Heartman.

That course is going to be awesome! Next question.
Old 08-18-2014, 11:14 AM

OK, here's the real update on Carrollton.

I finished the initial design phase in July, and clearing began last week.

One section of the park, which you can now see at the club's Facebook page (https://www.facebook.com/groups/HyzerHeine/), was so overgrown with kudzu -- often 8' high -- that I could not walk it.

I could handle the 12' privet, though it wasn't much fun to crawl through, but that kudzu was ridiculous. It's the first time in several years that I absolutely could not make my way through a property. So I guess I can't really say that I finished the initial design, since I still need to work on a few holes that were impenetrable.

The park is fantastic, and the City has been very supportive. One section of the park has great elevation; another section has a creek; and a third section has river access. All of it has mature trees and neat terrain features. And there will be a couple holes that are more open, so the mix it great.

Since it's Georgia, it definitely has an IDGC feel to me, and I think I can safely say that anyone who is a fan of the WR Jackson course will love Carrollton, too. Right now it's looking like a par of about 67, with two really nice par fives.

The last thing to point out there is that the people and the club are great. The two guys who have really made it happen, Eric Heine and David Goldberg, are truly amazing, and they have done an incredible job (not the least of which was spearheading the effort to win that $25,000 State Farm grant on Facebook). My hat is off to both of them. I also want to thank Kelly Leggete (Mr. Flyboy Aviation himself) for his contributions to this project.
Old 08-18-2014, 11:24 AM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 5.8
Courses Played: 74
Throwing Style: RHBH
see if you can do some miracle work with the parks dept in Coppell Texas. Andrew Brown has to be the worst course in the state.
Old 08-18-2014, 12:10 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 0.4
Courses Played: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnrhouck View Post
Hi, Tim. Thanks for that information. I had no idea.

I haven't been to DFW in a while, but I would like to see that course and their signs. I hope to be working in Oklahoma later this year, so I may be able to stop by on my way through.

I guess I've always thought of that kind of detail as being caddy book-type information. But let's be honest; most DG courses don't have caddy books. I'll look forward to seeing those signs; maybe someone can post some pictures before then.
I'm referring to Trophy lakes in SC (John's Island / Charleston). Linked below.

Here is a very crude example of what they did. Note - the signs are much prettier than this....and I also just made up the distance #s to give you an idea. It stuck out in my mind as it was perfect info I needed at the time as I didn't have the arm for the carry so went they layup & play for par route.

http://www.dgcoursereview.com/course.php?id=783
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Sign example.jpg (19.6 KB, 20 views)
Old 08-18-2014, 12:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chopz33 View Post
see if you can do some miracle work with the parks dept in Coppell Texas. Andrew Brown has to be the worst course in the state.
Chopz, it's a shame what happened to that course. And I know you and I have discussed it before. Right now we're just too busy to approach the City. But I will keep it on my list. Hang in there.
Old 08-18-2014, 12:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timeetyo View Post
I'm referring to Trophy lakes in SC (John's Island / Charleston). Linked below.

Here is a very crude example of what they did. Note - the signs are much prettier than this....and I also just made up the distance #s to give you an idea. It stuck out in my mind as it was perfect info I needed at the time as I didn't have the arm for the carry so went they layup & play for par route.

http://www.dgcoursereview.com/course.php?id=783
Ah -- forgive me. I was thinking Trophy Club, not Trophy Lake.

Thanks for explaining the signs. Obviously that kind of information can be very helpful.

It did occur to me that, on holes where you encounter water on your second shot, you never really know what the distance to carry is, just as on most multi-shot holes you have to figure out on your own which disc to use and how hard to throw it. So there is an element of the sport where estimating distance without a laser, caddy book, or tee sign is part of the game. Tough call. Thanks again.
Old Yesterday, 07:06 AM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 5.8
Courses Played: 74
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnrhouck View Post
Chopz, it's a shame what happened to that course. And I know you and I have discussed it before. Right now we're just too busy to approach the City. But I will keep it on my list. Hang in there.

Thanks for the response and hopefully something can get worked out in the future

Old Yesterday, 08:11 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 32.7
Courses Played: 117
Hi John -- Odds of you buying Selah and making it the ultimate DG destination (even moreso than it already is)?