Old 12-17-2013, 05:50 PM
*Super Moderator*

Years Playing: 12.6
Courses Played: 815
Throwing Style: RHBH
I like seeing reviews from designers, as long as they make it clear they're coming from that perspective. They'll have info and details about the course that nobody else has, and that can be really interesting and valuable information for potential players. I've seen it go both ways here, some designers are able to see the flaws of their course and give an honest evaluation, some just want to be cheerleaders.
Old 12-18-2013, 05:50 PM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 21.3
Courses Played: 128
Throwing Style: RHFH
Should a course designer and their worker bees that gave birth to a course review it. Absolutely. Should their ratings be bloviated? NO. If their ratings are consistent with other reviewers, why not have their input. If their ratings are outliers, it is an obvious padding attempt.

For new courses that fill a geographic void and bring in a bunch of new players that course may be the best thing since slice pepperoni. For those that have 50+ courses under their belt, ratings are a little more trusted.

This brings a more serious question of how to rate courses--fun or tournament challenging. They are VERY different and result in different ratings. Locally, there is a really great tournament course (Renny Gold) earning 4-4.5 ratings but from a fun perspective its almost an entire point lower (3-3.5); and Renny is less than 5 miles from my house. Meanwhile, there is a course (also less than 5 miles from my house) that falls into the 3.5-3.75 rating, which is more fun (Plantation Ruins). Guess which one I play daily as a 66+ yr old? I enjoy the "easier" one but usually give the tourney-type course a higher rating.

I also find that ratings seem to be slightly inflated if there are fewer courses to choose from; I also see the reverse. A 3.6 course in Charlotte could easily rate a 4.0 elsewhere. When you have a lot of great courses in your neighborhood, the good (but not great) ones get lower ratings than they would elsewhere.
Old 12-18-2013, 06:00 PM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 7.1
Courses Played: 23
Throwing Style: RHFH
I think it's good for course designers to review their course and give their reasoning. They should know their goals and what they actually accomplished better than anyone. On top of this, if they were to overate the hell out of the course, they would be downvoted and a more true rating would show itself sooner than later~
Old 12-18-2013, 08:02 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 19.3
Courses Played: 115
Quote:
Originally Posted by tom12003 View Post
This brings a more serious question of how to rate courses--fun or tournament challenging....
I rate courses based on which ones I would play most often, if they were equal distances from me. Then I modify that a bit, by my best estimate of how most other regular disc golfers would feel, based on the same standard.

But everyone has their own standards and they generally even out. If 20% like the fun courses more, and 80% like the challenging courses more, the average of the ratings will reflect the likely tastes of the review readers. More or less.
Old 12-18-2013, 08:26 PM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 3.5
Courses Played: 23
Would it be prudent to have a "Designer's Notes" tab or section that a course designer could write their "review" in? That way, they wouldn't be rating their course but could offer insight to why the course was designed in the way in which it was. I think that this would help to eliminate a designer over-rating their course but also give the designer a place for their "opinion" which wouldn't "skew" the overall course-rating.

This might be a little too impractical for Tim from an admin standpoint but I think it would be a good idea.
Old 06-03-2014, 06:05 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 2.2
Courses Played: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith Sunshine B. View Post
Should a course designer review the course he/she designed? If they do review their course should they disclose that they are the designer in the review?
There wasn't 1 designer. There was input from a lot of people. Hell, I got them to change the placement of two baskets. Should I not review the Gold course even though many of those holes were part of the original 18 that none of these people hand a hand in? Should I not review Purple because I was asked about cross play issues on the 4 finishing holes?

You realize that 18 of these holes existed before this "designer" even stepped foot on the property, right? Any review of Purple will involve 11 old holes. Any review of Gold will involve 6 of the old holes.

You should come up and play them with Eric and me. I'll buy the beer.
Old 06-03-2014, 06:55 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 5.6
Courses Played: 102
Throwing Style: LHBH
Quote:
Originally Posted by sidewinder22 View Post
Should local homeboys or course workers be allowed to review their course? Should out-of town travelers that have only played once be allowed to review courses? Should newbs or lefties be allowed to review courses?
Lefty reviews should have 2x the weight of righties!!

Old 06-03-2014, 08:51 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 0.5
Courses Played: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fraser View Post
Would it be prudent to have a "Designer's Notes" tab or section that a course designer could write their "review" in? That way, they wouldn't be rating their course but could offer insight to why the course was designed in the way in which it was. I think that this would help to eliminate a designer over-rating their course but also give the designer a place for their "opinion" which wouldn't "skew" the overall course-rating.

This might be a little too impractical for Tim from an admin standpoint but I think it would be a good idea.
That's what I was thinking. I'd like to see the insight, but there is no way to do it without attaching a rating.