Old 04-26-2014, 09:17 PM
Birdie Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dthunderchicken View Post
I expect this is the case for most < 935 rated golfers.
FTFY.
Old 04-26-2014, 11:47 PM
Bogey Member

" just put it in the deer feeder " .... lol
" putters " get a bad rep just because of the name....
" DRIVER " sounds just a bit more sexy.

tbh, the BEST disc you can ever throw: the one in your disc bag you can actually CONTROL
Old 04-26-2014, 11:54 PM
Bogey Member

Years Playing: 5.1
Courses Played: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Mad Cow View Post
tbh, the BEST disc you can ever throw: the one in your disc bag you can actually CONTROL
This is dead on. I golf with some folks that have been playing for more than a decade that can power down a driver to hit lines I could never would think about because I am proficient with throwing mids / putters.
Old 04-27-2014, 09:11 AM
Chaw Man

Years Playing: 23.2
Courses Played: 38
Throwing Style: RHBH
Quote:
Originally Posted by coupe View Post
FTFY.
Not true. I'm an 860 rated golfer and I still get much more distance out of any other type of disc. I'm no slouch in that department.

Too bad I fold like a poker table come tournament time.
Old 04-27-2014, 08:10 PM
Birdie Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyJB View Post
Not true. I'm an 860 rated golfer and I still get much more distance out of any other type of disc. I'm no slouch in that department.
"Most" =/= "all." (Or maybe you're just "special." )

The point being, contrary to dthunderchicken's expectation, most players who've been playing long enough to develop reasonably good form, which includes virtually all players rated 935+, can throw drivers significantly farther than putters.

Back in the late 1990s/early '00s, a (very rough) rule of thumb for disc selection floating around was that accomplished players typically could expect to throw midranges 10% farther than putters, and drivers 10% farther than midranges. That's assuming good form and the power/arm speed/snap to make the disc fly as intended.

I suspect that the advent of wide rimmed discs and Blizzard/Lite/Air technology has created another level of differentiation between fairway and distance drivers: I haven't lost any distance with my midranges or fairway drivers over the last 10-15 years, but these days I'm routinely parking or overthrowing, holes with wide rimmed and Blizzard/Starlite/Air discs that I need a driver and a 100-125' upshot to reach back in the day, and I ain't gettin' any younger.
Old 04-27-2014, 09:40 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 0.4
Courses Played: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Mad Cow View Post
Most definitely this. Interestingly enough I'm finding that I'm using my mids less now and my teebird much, much more especially since I've seasoned it a bit (dx). It is just so straight for tight wooded shots and even powered down a bit it is I still use my Nova a lot for approach but after throwing multi disc rounds which forced me to use my teebird on holes I was previously using mids on (since I was out of mids) I found myself hitting my line much more often with the teebird and it has subsequently received much more use.
Old 04-27-2014, 09:49 PM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 2.6
Courses Played: 18
Throwing Style: RHFH
I had tried this once with a Wizard and bit went horribly awry. It was probably the wrong putter for my style though, as I threw 75% of shots at brickyard last week with my Harp and scored well.
Old 04-28-2014, 12:16 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 2.2
Courses Played: 13
Yeah, putters are awesome.

ThomasOrion, you really need to put a space somewhere in that signature, it's ridiculous!
Old 04-28-2014, 01:12 PM
Eagle Member

Courses Played: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by coupe View Post
Back in the late 1990s/early '00s, a (very rough) rule of thumb for disc selection floating around was that accomplished players typically could expect to throw midranges 10% farther than putters, and drivers 10% farther than midranges. That's assuming good form and the power/arm speed/snap to make the disc fly as intended.
Although I start dropping weight after speed 7 for a solid stable disc (4 grams each speed increase), I get about an additional 10-12' for each step up in speed for an equally stable disc starting with a putter avg. at 260' and ending with speed 11 avg. at 370'. I don't get any more avg. distance from speeds 12-14.

I'm glad that I can't throw a putter 400' because I greatly appreciate my disc selection limting the range of my shots. Anything past my putting stance's reach and under 260' that does not require an OS putter (which ranges shorter) requires me ranging based on a lower arm speed alone.

I guess that it's time to perfect the high, hyzer spike so I can start using mids and fairways instead?

Old 04-28-2014, 01:17 PM
Par Member

Years Playing: 5.5
Courses Played: 20
Thanks for all the feedback. What I'm pulling from the comments is A. Putters do indeed rock and B. I do indeed need some work.