#41  
Old 08-05-2013, 10:26 AM
_MTL_ _MTL_ is offline
I think I'm important
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Raleigh, NC
Years Playing: 21.6
Courses Played: 105
Throwing Style: RHBH
Posts: 1,947
Send a message via AIM to _MTL_ Send a message via Yahoo to _MTL_
Quote:
Originally Posted by smyith View Post
I liked how NC did it last year. Was really interesting. Would like to have seen that again. And they are wrong, I think people would like ot see coverage of all the field events.
Charlotte's was not good, IMHO, because the putts were all too long. Most of them were jump putts.

The best putting contest I've seen at a worlds was 2004 in Iowa.

There were 9 stations all with three areas. The easiest was 1 point, the hardest was 3 and the middle was 2. These putts ranged from 25 - 45 feet - the difficult putts included elevation, angles, low ceilings, etc.


Players played each station twice and got to pick which putt they wanted to putt from. Comebackers had to be made or a point was lost.
Sponsored Links

Last edited by _MTL_; 08-05-2013 at 10:30 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #42  
Old 08-05-2013, 10:33 AM
_MTL_ _MTL_ is offline
I think I'm important
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Raleigh, NC
Years Playing: 21.6
Courses Played: 105
Throwing Style: RHBH
Posts: 1,947
Send a message via AIM to _MTL_ Send a message via Yahoo to _MTL_
Quote:
Originally Posted by Swisher Streets View Post
What is the skill shot contest?
Hard to explain, but basically, here it goes...(don't quote me on the points, this is generically speaking)

There are 20 holes ranging from 25 feet to 250 feet. Each hole requires you to throw a certain shot. It can be as simple as do anything you want to roller to overhard to sidearm. And sometimes stance regulations are included (there is typically a kneeling roller shot).

If you make it, you get 50 points. For every foot from the basket, you deduct a point from 30.

For example, I throw and land 8 feet away. That is 22 points.

Most points wins. They call it the skillshot b/c they originally used them to set the course up. I believe Travelers are used now.

It's a lot of fun, actually.
Reply With Quote
  #43  
Old 08-05-2013, 11:19 AM
smyith's Avatar
smyith smyith is offline
Suffers from Delusions of Grandeur
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Crystal Lake, IL
Years Playing: 13.2
Courses Played: 134
Throwing Style: RHBH
Posts: 3,912
Quote:
Originally Posted by _MTL_ View Post
Charlotte's was not good, IMHO, because the putts were all too long. Most of them were jump putts.

The best putting contest I've seen at a worlds was 2004 in Iowa.

There were 9 stations all with three areas. The easiest was 1 point, the hardest was 3 and the middle was 2. These putts ranged from 25 - 45 feet - the difficult putts included elevation, angles, low ceilings, etc.


Players played each station twice and got to pick which putt they wanted to putt from. Comebackers had to be made or a point was lost.
We've done something similar at club events. This is a really fun format. We did it as a matchplay though.
Reply With Quote
  #44  
Old 08-05-2013, 02:20 PM
The Ox's Avatar
The Ox The Ox is offline
Birdie Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Charlotte, NC
Years Playing: 3.9
Courses Played: 54
Posts: 382
Quote:
Originally Posted by dx_roc View Post
Weston Isaacs
3 hours ago
So get this, last year I scored 17 points to qualify for the World Putting finals. This year I scored 19 points, only to find out there are no putting finals. When I spoke with a pdga official why there were no finals, he informed me how "no one really cares about field events" and how it was a "waste of his staffs time" to put on a finals. I'm not sure who I've lost more respect for, Indiana disc golf or the Pdga for not settings guidelines that prevent people's personal opinions from setting the sport back, especially at the Worlds.
Even if there was putting finals, you would not have made the cut with 19 points.
Reply With Quote
  #45  
Old 08-05-2013, 02:32 PM
dobbins66's Avatar
dobbins66 dobbins66 is offline
Eagle Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Lexington, KY
Years Playing: 9.7
Courses Played: 85
Throwing Style: RHFH
Posts: 868
Quote:
Originally Posted by DG addict24 View Post
Schusterick tweeted that the long drive contest was into the wind, what did he end up throwing in it if anyone knows?
459' for Will & Avery - Tied for 10th
Reply With Quote
  #46  
Old 08-06-2013, 12:12 PM
hophead hophead is online now
Par Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Chapel Thrill, NC
Posts: 177
Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by dobbins66 View Post
459' for Will & Avery - Tied for 10th
Meh, noodle arms.
Reply With Quote
  #47  
Old 08-06-2013, 03:08 PM
tampora tampora is offline
Birdie Member
 
Join Date: May 2012
Years Playing: 16.5
Courses Played: 30
Throwing Style: LHBH
Posts: 452
Quote:
Originally Posted by _MTL_ View Post
Hard to explain, but basically, here it goes...(don't quote me on the points, this is generically speaking)

There are 20 holes ranging from 25 feet to 250 feet. Each hole requires you to throw a certain shot. It can be as simple as do anything you want to roller to overhard to sidearm. And sometimes stance regulations are included (there is typically a kneeling roller shot).
Unless they're playing in a wide-open field, that sounds incredibly hard to make fair for everyone.

And, on a side note, I wouldn't call a tie for 1st part of a "sweep".
Reply With Quote
  #48  
Old 08-06-2013, 03:24 PM
_MTL_ _MTL_ is offline
I think I'm important
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Raleigh, NC
Years Playing: 21.6
Courses Played: 105
Throwing Style: RHBH
Posts: 1,947
Send a message via AIM to _MTL_ Send a message via Yahoo to _MTL_
Quote:
Originally Posted by tampora View Post
Unless they're playing in a wide-open field, that sounds incredibly hard to make fair for everyone.

And, on a side note, I wouldn't call a tie for 1st part of a "sweep".
There are a few obstructed holes that make you work on recovery, but for the most part, it's wide open.

It's a fantastic test of your short game and very rarely does a non-top pro win.
Reply With Quote
 

  #49  
Old 08-07-2013, 02:33 PM
coupe coupe is offline
Birdie Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 378
Quote:
Originally Posted by tampora View Post
And, on a side note, I wouldn't call a tie for 1st part of a "sweep".
Dude, tie-breaker was Tues night.

Wiggins won.

I'm guessing that makes it a "sweep."
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 01:31 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.