Old 10-28-2013, 10:46 AM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 4
Courses Played: 21
Throwing Style: RHBH
Quote:
Originally Posted by Disc Golf Live View Post
Reminds me of food outlets where beverages are billed as large, extra large, and grande. What ever happened to small, medium, and large?
Have you seen us Americans lately? Small and medium went out the window about the same time "Made in USA" did
Old 10-28-2013, 11:00 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 19.1
Courses Played: 115
Quote:
Originally Posted by Disc Golf Live View Post
I think the PDGA should rethink how they label these events. I count 10 major on the schedule.

The term should be reserved for a far more select set of events or else it becomes meaningless. Perhaps a new term such as "divisional championship" or something could be used for such minor majors as Am World Dbls, Selinske Masters, Am Nats, Collegiate championship, etc. Two of the "majors" are called that perhaps only due to location - Japan and Europe.

Reminds me of food outlets where beverages are billed as large, extra large, and grande. What ever happened to small, medium, and large?
I'm waiting for a couple of our events to be dubbed "Super Majors", to distinguish Pro Worlds, USDGC, and perhaps another, from "Mere Majors".
Old 10-29-2013, 08:24 AM
Birdie Member

Courses Played: 1
M.I.N.O. Events. Majors in Name Only?

Mr Golfer: It's a Major Event!
Swede: Shucks, I wouldn't know that. It looks like a lamp.
Mr. Golfer: What is a lamp, you nincompoop? It's a Major Event. I won it!
Swede: Damn, hell, you say won it?
Mr. Golfer: Yeah, mind power, Swede; mind power.

If we all believe hard enough, every event is a major event.
Old 10-29-2013, 08:52 AM
I think I'm important

Years Playing: 21.2
Courses Played: 105
Throwing Style: RHBH
Send a message via AIM to _MTL_ Send a message via Yahoo to _MTL_
Everyone comments that "golf only has 4 majors" and that is 100% incorrect.

Golf has 12 professional majors - 4 for the PGA Tour, 4 for the LPGA Tour and 4 for the Senior Tour.

This doesn't even include majors for amatuers - US Amatuer, Walker Cup, Senior US Amatuer, Womens US Amatuer, etc.

When you look at the majors that McBeth and other Open players are eligble for, it's just 4 a year. And the masters have more than that - they have 5 or 6, just as a senior player in golf can play more than just his 4 if he wants to play against younger players.
Old 11-05-2013, 07:59 PM
Par Member

Years Playing: 14.2
Courses Played: 102
Quote:
Originally Posted by _MTL_ View Post

Golf has 12 professional majors - 4 for the PGA Tour, 4 for the LPGA Tour and 4 for the Senior Tour.

This doesn't even include majors for amatuers - US Amatuer, Walker Cup, Senior US Amatuer, Womens US Amatuer, etc.

When you look at the majors that McBeth and other Open players are eligble for, it's just 4 a year. And the masters have more than that - they have 5 or 6, just as a senior player in golf can play more than just his 4 if he wants to play against younger players.
Um golf has 4 majors -- The British, the US Open, the Masters and the PDGA. Women's golf has 4 majors, when they let men play in the women's majors they'll call them something else, women can play in golf's 4 majors along with women's majors. There are 4 senior tour majors, old guys can play in them along with playing in golf's majors. When they let young guys play in them they'll call them something other than a golf major. Amateurs??? ESPN barely cares and they can make money showing dang near anything!! Please -- all these other tournaments are fun and great and cute and all -- but golf has 4 majors and the system makes lots of dough. Everything else is only interesting because it's kind of like the big money making stuff.

Old 11-05-2013, 08:54 PM
Par Member

Years Playing: 2.5
Courses Played: 18
Throwing Style: RHFH
Quote:
Originally Posted by _MTL_ View Post

A. this is a ridiculous argument. sorry

B. If you are going to make that argument, the senior PGA tour actually has 5 majors (senior pga, tradition, senior players, US senior, Senior Open Championship)

C. Womens Golf has 5 majors as well - the Evian became a major this year

D. Amateur golf has no official majors. In the era of Bobby Jones, sure. But since Arnie and Jack, the "majors" have been very well established

E. Sorry...I was a collegiate golfer...couldn't help myself but correct this