Old 01-25-2016, 02:14 AM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 2.8
Courses Played: 61
Throwing Style: RHBH

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobA View Post
Spoken like someone who is used to having everything handed to them.
If that sounds like that to you, you're the only one. Literally....the ONLY one.

Quote:
I suggest you scroll down. This has been resolved and is a non issue.
Says who? You? You're the spokesperson?

Quote:
But in all reality, to answer your whine, er complaint, it doesn't take much to ignore reviews with a date older than 12 months. In reality, since reviews are not purged, most of the reviews on this site are going to be older than 12 months.
Your arrogance -- albeit misguided -- is impressive, even for DGCR. You win the internet today. Congratulations.
Sponsored Links
Old 01-25-2016, 06:43 AM
Banned

Years Playing: 17.8
Courses Played: 28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nemmers View Post
If that sounds like that to you, you're the only one. Literally....the ONLY one.

Says who? You? You're the spokesperson?

Your arrogance -- albeit misguided -- is impressive, even for DGCR. You win the internet today. Congratulations.
Wow, I am not sure how to respond to this rant. "Dgcr - if you can't win with logic, throw as many random adolescent insults as you can!"
Old 01-25-2016, 08:39 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 11.9
Courses Played: 202

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stardoggy View Post
Maybe if the reviews were sorted by "Played On" instead of "Reviewed On", it would help.
Sorting by Played On doesn't seem to even be an option right now, unless I'm missing it.
Agreed. IMHO, "played on" would be a more useful default sort order, but it doesn't even appear to be an option in the "sort by" field.

Someone noted that most reviews on the site are older that a year... true. I'd be hesitant to base my travel decisions solely on old reviews, particularly if there's a pattern indicating the course's recent ratings differ significantly from the older ones.

However, if they were written near the time a course was played, older reviews serve to build a more robust sample size for ratings, and perhaps more importantly, establish a pattern as to what direction the course is moving. Some courses start out great for a few years, before eventually going downhill. Others start out in sad shape, but get significantly better after improvements are made.

Some reviewers are good about pointing out how cons listed in previous reviews have been addressed... there's something that's helpful.

Last edited by BogeyNoMore; 01-25-2016 at 08:42 AM.
Old 01-25-2016, 10:45 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 36.6
Courses Played: 205
Throwing Style: LHBH

Heh---I put the date I FIRST played the course before I reviewed it. This leads to some large gaps---for instance, 9 1/2 years between when I first played Dabney and when I reviewed it[not long after joining DGCR]. So there's a monkey wrench for y'all's two camps of thought/conflict.
But all courses I've reviewed were played in the last several weeks before I reviewed them. If I think I might write a review, I also take notes in a journal while I play.
Old 01-25-2016, 12:34 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 4.8
Courses Played: 273
Throwing Style: RHFH

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohtobediscing View Post
Heh---I put the date I FIRST played the course before I reviewed it. This leads to some large gaps---for instance, 9 1/2 years between when I first played Dabney and when I reviewed it[not long after joining DGCR]. So there's a monkey wrench for y'all's two camps of thought/conflict.
But all courses I've reviewed were played in the last several weeks before I reviewed them. If I think I might write a review, I also take notes in a journal while I play.
the box on the menu does say last played on
Old 01-25-2016, 01:15 PM
* Ace Member *

^^^I can see it says that when you first write the review , but if you cursor the review, it says "played on".

Last edited by ohtobediscing; 01-25-2016 at 01:18 PM.
Old 01-25-2016, 01:36 PM
* Ace Member *

^^^Got called away 'fore I finished the thought. It seemed to me, that for someone reading a review, it was better if the reviewer had a long history with the course, ostensibly to provide a more accurate feel for the course. As it is now, someone who's played it once [and, it appears, for some reviewers, that's 20 years ago] has the same gravitas as someone who's been playing it for 15 years.
Old 01-25-2016, 01:44 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 4.8
Courses Played: 273
Throwing Style: RHFH

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohtobediscing View Post
^^^Got called away 'fore I finished the thought. It seemed to me, that for someone reading a review, it was better if the reviewer had a long history with the course, ostensibly to provide a more accurate feel for the course. As it is now, someone who's played it once [and, it appears, for some reviewers, that's 20 years ago] has the same gravitas as someone who's been playing it for 15 years.
maybe for some. but if i'm reading reviews, i'd rather hear the perspective of the first time player, as that's what i'll be once I get there. i'm not going to have the experience of playing many times over a period of years. (although that input is valid too)

What's more, if I see the played on date as twenty years ago, 99% of readers are going to think that is the last time the reviewer played the course before reviewing it. they aren't going to assume that the player played it then first, then dozens or hundreds of more times and then wrote it.
Old 01-25-2016, 04:44 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 13.2
Courses Played: 81

Quote:
Spoken like someone who is used to having everything handed to them.
I know... you're right. I'm so sorry, I hate this job of rating courses. I don't want to be the one to pass judgement, decide who gets thumbs up or down. It makes me sick to my stomach, I get the runs from the stress. It's not cause the reviews are old, I would love to thumb up those reviews. I can't give my approval because they're simply too old.....for the site, you know, not for the earth.

Isn't there is a point when reviews are too old to rate with thumbs?

Old 01-25-2016, 05:44 PM
Banned

Years Playing: 17.8
Courses Played: 28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Butlertron View Post
I know... you're right. I'm so sorry, I hate this job of rating courses. I don't want to be the one to pass judgement, decide who gets thumbs up or down. It makes me sick to my stomach, I get the runs from the stress. It's not cause the reviews are old, I would love to thumb up those reviews. I can't give my approval because they're simply too old.....for the site, you know, not for the earth.

Isn't there is a point when reviews are too old to rate with thumbs?
lol, after reading this thread I can appreciate where folks are coming from.