Old 10-30-2013, 09:10 AM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 13.2
Courses Played: 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jouni View Post
Yes, I have always thought that the spike hyzer is just an extreme version of hyzer bomb and knife hyzer which mean the same thing, disc is released high on a hyzer angle, and it goes from right to left into the ground maintaining it's hyzer angle. Although I'm not sure what if it flips to flat at some point before fading again, is it still termed the same. It could be a hyzer flip then, but that doesn't need to fade back necessarily, if thrown low enough. Or straight?

Theres some picture is Blake T.'s old article about some of the hyzer shots: http://www.discgolfreview.com/resour...s/angles.shtml

Reading that I realized that what I have though as hyzer flip is actually flattened sweep hyzer. I can't grasp the idea of throwing hyzer to the left instead of right...

Edit: Actually I think I have been throwing roll curves using wrist roll with my tangent and wondered why it doesn't stay flat after flipping to flat...
Per that article, i would say
sweep hyzer = hyzer bomb
knife hyzer = spike hyzer

and the others are weird and i i think the author is stretching for content.

I also disagree with his "wrist roll" commentary completely, but that's another conversation.
Old 10-30-2013, 09:34 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 5.7
Courses Played: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by Horsman View Post
Hmm, I think that the definition of spike hyzer here is a little off. The disc doesnt have to be nearly verticle for it to be a spike hyzer. I think that a spike hyzer would be a shot thrown with an overstable disc on a hyzer line with the intention of the disc spiking and sticking where it hits. I know when I thrown spikes, the disc is never verticle and if it is then I am doing something severely wrong.
I respectfully disagree. It's like most terms in disc golf; the meanings differ from one person to the next.

Something went wrong. Please make sure you added the video correctly. Click here to see how YouTube videos should be embedded. There could also be a technical issue that's not your fault. Click here to view the video on YouTube's site. If this link doesn't work, you did something wrong.

I played with Robbie Bratten last night. He threw more spike hyzers than anyone I've ever played with; around 20% of his tee shots.

Last edited by The Hammer; 10-30-2013 at 09:36 AM.
Old 10-30-2013, 10:54 AM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 13.2
Courses Played: 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Hammer View Post
I respectfully disagree. It's like most terms in disc golf; the meanings differ from one person to the next.

Something went wrong. Please make sure you added the video correctly. Click here to see how YouTube videos should be embedded. There could also be a technical issue that's not your fault. Click here to view the video on YouTube's site. If this link doesn't work, you did something wrong.
That video is how I think of them exactly.

What Nikko called Power Grip Spike Hyzer is exactly what i consider a spike hyzer.
What he called Power Grip Control Hyzer is what I'd call a Hyzer Bomb or just regular Hyzer shot.
Old 10-30-2013, 03:45 PM
Double Eagle Member

Courses Played: 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by wake911 View Post
What Nikko called Power Grip Spike Hyzer is exactly what i consider a spike hyzer.

What he called Power Grip Control Hyzer is what I'd call a Hyzer Bomb or just regular Hyzer shot.
Agreed.

Old 10-30-2013, 04:10 PM
*Reform School Scholar*

Years Playing: 5.5
Courses Played: 54
Throwing Style: LHBH
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dubbo Ego View Post
I also had an epiphany while watching the USDGC

I figured out that disc golf is actually super easy, and I have been making it hard the whole time--- All I have to do is throw it exactly where it needs to go and then again into the basket..

I don't know why I have been making it so hard on myself

Lol! Thanks for helping me out.