Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 35.9
Courses Played: 305
Throwing Style: RHBH
Find the wheat in the chaff.
Sponsored Links
Old 04-18-2015, 01:02 AM

Courses Played: 5
I have been throwing with a couple of pro (MPO ) players lately. one in particular has been frustrated with the way his discs fly here because of major loss of distance. The explaination he postulated was that the thinner air creates less lift related to the reduced molecules flowing over the top which creates a shorter throw (less air, less lift, =decreased ability for the disc to remain aloft). I was just wondering about the mechanics/mathematics on this theory. I think I agree since I seem to have been able to throw farther in Spokane (2200ft elevation) vs. here in Salt Lake (4500ft elevation), although I was just chalking it up to getting older and having less than perfect timing on my distance throws.
Old 04-18-2015, 01:11 AM

I'm almost positive that the thinner air would cause the disc to fly further because of less drag and wind/air resistance.

Old 04-18-2015, 01:39 AM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 4.7
Courses Played: 35
Throwing Style: RHBH
If you believe the actual aerospace engineers who posted in this thread (look at page 11), then lift has a lot to do with disc flight. According to what I'm reading, airplanes and jets generally need more runway to take off at altitude because the thinner air provides less lift. Thus I would think we could extrapolate the decrease in lift to shorter disc flight as well.

Also, less lift means less turn at high speed since lift combined with gyroscopic progression is what creates the initial turn. So discs act more OS at altitude.