Old 02-12-2015, 11:15 AM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 17.9
Courses Played: 26
Throwing Style: RHBH
We just reserved the Honka House for a September trip, I am quite excited and hoping for nicely mowed fairways by then. I missed out on a trip up there last year (I was up in the BWCA that week, pretty much the only trip I'd choose over DG) and my buddies all said the place was in top shape and had a blast.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stardoggy View Post
Judging by his course reviews, he wasn't too sad to leave.
nothing so endearing as passive-aggressive hostility :/
Sponsored Links
Old 02-12-2015, 01:27 PM

Years Playing: 5.7
Courses Played: 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stardoggy View Post
Judging by his course reviews, he wasn't too sad to leave.
To each their own I suppose. He was great when we were there, the courses were in what I would consider almost as good of condition as possible, and yet he was cool enough to come party with us and have a great time. I feel the courses were better than last year which to me says he made a difference up there. He was out everyday fixing the courses and measuring distance. For my money seemed like he had a lot of dedication.
Old 02-12-2015, 02:09 PM
Rick Rolling, Rolling, Rolling...

Years Playing: 16
Courses Played: 132
Quote:
Originally Posted by namar View Post
We just reserved the Honka House for a September trip, I am quite excited and hoping for nicely mowed fairways by then. I missed out on a trip up there last year (I was up in the BWCA that week, pretty much the only trip I'd choose over DG) and my buddies all said the place was in top shape and had a blast.
You're going to want to confirm your reservations 3 months out, 2 months out, 1 month out, 2 weeks out, 1 week out and 3 days out, and then call and let John know you're on your way when you get in the car.

And I'm not even kidding.
Old 02-12-2015, 02:20 PM
Par Member

Years Playing: 3.7
Courses Played: 34
Throwing Style: RHFH
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeavyCritters View Post
You're going to want to confirm your reservations 3 months out, 2 months out, 1 month out, 2 weeks out, 1 week out and 3 days out, and then call and let John know you're on your way when you get in the car.

He's not kidding. We didn't know whether we even had a place to sleep until 36 hours before left. He called me from Minnesota saying his neighbor would meet us at the Honka. He also didn't have a dedicated helper at the time though.
Old 02-14-2015, 08:22 AM

Courses Played: 16
If you're going to call yourself the mecca of disc golf, you should probably have it together a little more. Just sayin'.
Old 02-14-2015, 10:36 AM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 10.2
Courses Played: 240
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mud Boy View Post
If you're going to call yourself the mecca of disc golf, you should probably have it together a little more. Just sayin'.
I'm sure he doesn't get a bunch of 1time email reservations that don't follow through

It's a bunch of Disc Golfers and Hippies way up in the North Woods. What do you want?! He'll take care of anyone who shows up
Old 02-22-2015, 05:21 PM

Courses Played: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mushin No Shin View Post
I'm sure he doesn't get a bunch of 1time email reservations that don't follow through

It's a bunch of Disc Golfers and Hippies way up in the North Woods. What do you want?! He'll take care of anyone who shows up
I'm one of those old disc golfer hippies from the northwoods, but that's not my point. Of course he takes care of everyone, he's a great host. All I'm saying is that a "mecca" of any sport should probably not be so shaggy and shabby. Highbridge is a diamond in the rough, all it needs is a little polishing to shine and be worthy of the title. Don't get me wrong, I love the place and I'll be there as much as I can this year, I just want to see Highbridge realize it's potential.
Old 02-24-2015, 10:34 AM

Years Playing: 4.9
Courses Played: 27
Throwing Style: RHFH
Quote:
Originally Posted by BogeyNoMore View Post
1) Could've been BKRanger's typo, not hers.
2) At least give her a few months to see if she gets a few items addressed before you condemn her for seeing what other courses in the area are like before implying all her time should be spent whipping High Bridge into shape.

3) She may not be Miss America, but she shouldn't have any problem making friends on the course.
Not my typo that was directly copied from the facebook post she made. I think she does need a bit of time for sure. Also the things that need to be addressed the most up there aren't really things that can be done in the winter. Hope this isn't just wishful thinking and she becomes just what the mecca needs.

Old 02-24-2015, 12:22 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 17.9
Courses Played: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeavyCritters View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clonan View Post
He's not kidding. We didn't know whether we even had a place to sleep until 36 hours before left. He called me from Minnesota saying his neighbor would meet us at the Honka. He also didn't have a dedicated helper at the time though.
Thanks for the heads up. My buddy that is more or less organizing this year's trip did the same last year, and I know he made regular phone calls to John in the months leading up to it.

That said, I'll make sure my tent is packed. Don't much care where I sleep, but the prospect of kicking back with a bourbon on a balcony overlooking a quality DG course has me pretty damn excited.