Old 08-12-2013, 02:48 PM
Par Member

Years Playing: 6.5
Courses Played: 5
Throwing Style: RHFH
One thing that helped me throw a sidearm was starting out throwing a 1 finger sidearm. This shot will not turn over as much as the other grips, and will be way more accurate since you are using the pad of your finger not the side.
Old 08-16-2013, 03:58 PM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 9.3
Courses Played: 32
Brody,

So I watched your critique video, and I echo what Sidewinder and Jax are saying in the thread, you're all arm and not enough body/feet.

There were some real gems in there, some real good foundations to build upon.

So you said you were a baseball player? The FH swing is very similar to batting (at least the way the body uncorks, from the ground up). So if you can somehow envision that, it may help....
Old 08-17-2013, 12:31 PM
Eagle Member

practice sitting on a bench and flick shots at a tree or whatever obstacle you want. empty your bag as you get comfortable with the flick. take the body out of the equation and just work on getting comfortable with the accuracy and control.
Old 09-23-2013, 02:44 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 2.2
Courses Played: 13
Throwing Style: RHBH
/necro bump

An update on my FH. I have added a serviceable FH to my game. I've been working hard on and playing a FH only (except for putts) set of shots in all my casual/practice rounds and putting in some field work. My flick approach has now taken the majority share of my approach game. As for driving, I am throwing my Valks consistently 250+ with a good flight path and I am considering adding Destroyers back to my bag for headwind FH drives and longer (than my firebirds can hit) drives where I need a lot of fade. I'm even comfortable enough teeing off FH and in a C-tier this past weekend both of my FH drives led to deuces. And today in a practice round, my FH only alter ego shot an even 54 on my home course, where I normally shoot in the 50-60 range in normal rounds.

To be clear, my FH is still definitely a work in progress. It still has a little too much torque/OAT in it and I still would like more consistency. But it has added the late, hard right finish and right sweeping lines I was hoping for and has really improved my approach game (I love flicking my Aviars and Gators!). All in all, this FH is going to hopefully bump my game to the next level.

Thanks everyone for the help!
Old 09-23-2013, 03:22 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 20.3
Courses Played: 366
Throwing Style: LHBH
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brodysseus View Post
I am throwing my Valks consistently 250+ with a good flight path

To be clear, my FH is still definitely a work in progress. It still has a little too much torque/OAT in it
Good job learning FH with flippy stuff like Valks. IMO, too many people mask the wrist-roll* problem by using way overstable discs.

*I use "wrist-roll" as it is much easier to visualize when talking FH than that stupid term "OAT". If your palm is facing the sky in your follow-through.....that is good. If your thumb is up (your hand is in the handshake position) on the follow-through, you have rolled your wrist (bad).

Old 09-23-2013, 04:18 PM
Eagle Member

Courses Played: 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave242 View Post
Good job learning FH with flippy stuff like Valks. IMO, too many people mask the wrist-roll* problem by using way overstable discs.

*I use "wrist-roll" as it is much easier to visualize when talking FH than that stupid term "OAT". If your palm is facing the sky in your follow-through.....that is good. If your thumb is up (your hand is in the handshake position) on the follow-through, you have rolled your wrist (bad).
I've been thinking about making a video throwing FH bombs using understable discs. I put a star tern past 370 the other day just goofing off. And I've thrown rivers well past 300' on a FH.

I think it would be fun and it would put a lot of myths to bed!