Old 07-13-2013, 08:58 AM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 1.2
Courses Played: 4
Throwing Style: RHFH
Dgar. From the looks of that course I hope you take bug spray. I think you and me are on the same track in development. I know a store with a 150 DX Leopard and I've been going back and forth on whether I should try it.

Not many light discs available at my one store.
Old 07-13-2013, 09:22 AM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 2.5
Courses Played: 13
Throwing Style: LHBH
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grinder12000 View Post
If you know what mold you want, I'll bet they will order a lighter weight for you. If not, there are plenty of great online retailers.
Old 07-13-2013, 10:08 AM
Par Member

Years Playing: 1.1
Quote:
Dgar. From the looks of that course I hope you take bug spray. I think you and me are on the same track in development. I know a store with a 150 DX Leopard and I've been going back and forth on whether I should try it.

Give the Leopard a try, you might like the 150 grams... probably just a few bucks ( nice compared to trying out new clubs in ball golf,) Plus at 150 grams I imagine your wife could use it as well.

By the way checked out your blog this morning... Nice Job enjoyed it.. pretty tech savvy for an old dude

by the way I have to compliment you again on your disc golf art FANTASTIC.. there's gotta be a market for them.. I would Imagine you could could sell quite a few at a tournament or even make great trophies as opposed to the typical plastic type.
Old 07-13-2013, 10:18 AM
Par Member

Years Playing: 1.1
Quote:
Originally Posted by dashiellx View Post
If you know what mold you want, I'll bet they will order a lighter weight for you. If not, there are plenty of great online retailers.
Regarding online retailers.. I try and support the locals, but like grinder sometimes finding what I want in the weights I want is difficult.

Not sure what the policy is for plugging a particular retailer on the board, it seems some pay to advertise here so wouldn't want to ruffle feathers..

But Grinder PM me and I'll tell you about the online retailer I've used.. Many weights available in most molds, Great prices, and Free Shipping
Old 07-13-2013, 10:43 AM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 1.2
Quote:
Plus at 150 grams I imagine your wife could use it as well.
LOL just got done talking about that - she wants a driver (not that she can throw one) so there is a fall back plan.

Thanks - I need to get to some more parks and get some more models! I specialty is man cave art, it's a genre' that most artist do not do but there is a market for B17s/F16s, disc golf, Chris-Craft boats and so forth. I have not put one shot up yet - I'm trying to contact the original photographer. I normally take all my own shots but I was just seeing what I could do.

gotta update the blog today.

Will do dgar - leaving up the door at the moment though.
Old 07-15-2013, 09:43 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 8.3
Courses Played: 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Ensor View Post
More weight=more momentum

That means that heavy discs will retain speed longer, and maintain gyroscopic effects longer. To me, that seems to suggest more weight=more disctance

That being said, throwing more weight makes it harder to maintain grip.
On the other hand, net lift will be the total lift minus the force due to gravity. The force due to gravity is directly proportional to the mass, so less mass means more net lift (the disc is in the air longer).

For max distance there's probably some balance between the disc being heavy enough to control and maintain spin and light enough to maintain lift and get the most from a tailwind. For a long time it appeared as if that ideal weight was somewhere in the mid 160's, but apparently for faster discs in high end plastic it's lower.
Old 07-15-2013, 10:11 AM

Years Playing: 34.2
Courses Played: 9
Throwing Style: RHBH
After reading this I am thinking my wife needs a lighter weight disc. She was in a car wreck 30 years ago and messed up her shoulder. her right arm does not have full motion and strength. she just plays for fun, but she wants to be competitive with me and whoever else is playing. throwing the traditional style she does ok, but when she tries to throw sidearm she really has problems, but that is a whole different subject.

Old 07-15-2013, 10:15 AM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 1.7
Courses Played: 28
Throwing Style: RHBH
Quote:
Yea, I'm just curious on what different weights do. Yesterday I purchased a 174 Patriot which was sort of a mistake because I could not find the discs I was looking for in the weights I wanted.

So, I went that and it's way to heavy for me. I didn't realize that 7 grams would make that much of a difference. It'll end up in a special place with my 162 Champ Tern sort of unplayable but fun to toss in field work.
Well Grinder you got me curious. Since I already have a 150 DX Valkyrie that I'm having good luck with I want to see if it is an anomaly. I just ordered some discs and decided to include a Star Teebird at 150 and a Star Teebird at 166. I'm going to test them side by side when they arrive.

Curtis